Introducing Vahn Phayprasert

Parker Hires a New Intermediate and Middle School Head

After searching through over 40 qualified resumes, conducting interviews, and touring the school with finalists, Parker has chosen Vahn Phayprasert to take over the role of Intermediate and Middle School Head. As of July 1, Phayprasert will formally join the Parker community, replacing former Intermediate and Middle School Head John Novick as he leaves to pursue leadership opportunities outside of Parker in his professional career. Along with this change of leadership comes change for the whole school community, but especially the students in the affected intermediate grade levels. Additionally, the change in leadership opens the door to new goals and a new Intermediate and Middle School atmosphere.

Phayprasert comes to Parker from a background that includes experience as both an educator and administrator. He has previously taught as both an elementary and middle school teacher and also worked as an administrator of the Millbrae School District in California for twelve years. Phayprasert has had experience as “part of the elementary and middle school community in terms of learning about that developmental stage, as well as all the different activities and academic curriculum pieces that go into that environment.” 

When entering a new environment, “the first step is to build really strong relationships,” Phayprasert said. He has come to learn that besides the importance of relationships within the community, between administrators and their colleagues, students, and families, it is important to engage with “the outside community as well,”  Phayprasert said. “My first priority would be building those connections and strong relationships.”

The relationships and collaboration between administrators in important roles, such as Division Head, and their fellow faculty and teachers are crucial in cultivating a safe and cheerful environment. “When students can see a team that is closely connected and works well together, it creates a good space for learning and brings joy to learning,” eighth grade english teacher David Fuder said.

As the new IS/MS Head, Phayprasert hopes to continue work with “the notion and concept of diversity, inclusion, and equity.” As Parker strives to create an environment that values this work, Phayprasert hopes to aid in the process. Additionally, Phayprasert hopes to further collaborate and create a space where students, and the needs of students, are the focus. Phayprasert wants “to understand what students are feeling.” His first step in that process would be “to have students engage in a survey of some sort to take a needs assessment in regards to how they’re feeling.” More specifically, “what they feel in their environment.” From there, Phayprasert hopes that the adults in the community can collaborate to find solutions that best serve the student body.

Over his eight years at Parker, Novick has seen a great increase in student access to technology in media. At this same time began the startup of “a number of new ally and affinity groups,” Novick said. “Anything worth doing, you want to do it well, you don’t do it alone,” Novick said. “The more you do things together, working with other people, the better those things turnout.” In the hiring process, Parker involved a variety of students, teachers, faculty, administrators, and trustees to ensure that they filled this position for the most optimal turnout.

As the community of Parker, along with Phayprasert, embark on this new chapter of  Parker’s history, there is much to come. “The potential for being able to see things differently through new leadership, also creates the potential for further growth,” Phayprasert said. 

Phayprasert plans to spend his time at Parker learning and growing alongside students. “I hope to really understand the school structure, and understand what makes Parker so great in terms of the academic and extracurricular programs that take place,” Phaypraser said. 

Phayprasert has an open-door policy and he is “open to not only positive and great conversations, but also open to conversations that may be difficult.” 

“Partnership highlights my philosophy and the type of relationships I want for students, family, and staff,” Phayprasert said.  He is eager to become a part of the Parker community.