President: Mortimer Buckley

Do you want to know why 7-Eleven closed? Or what’s for lunch? Scan the mysterious QR codes posted around the school and be taken to @mgb4prez.

“I enjoy Student Government. I enjoy being a leader. I love talking on that stage and helping students being engaged,” rising senior and Student Government presidential candidate Mortimer Buckley said. With previous experience as a CTC head, “Scout” Editor-in-Chief, and member of the 360 Review Council, Buckley hopes to come into the position with a “brand new perspective.

As is outlined in his 10-page platform, Buckley’s main goals are to reform the committee system, improve plenary efficiency, increase the number of small group meetings, and revamp the junior civic lab.

Leading these changes is what Student Government means to Buckley. “We can make our school life better through our own voice. because the teachers and the administration, they listen to us as a collective student body,” Buckley said. “It’s kind of like our union.”

Buckley said that though he’s aware President Eli Moog’s plan to cancel plenaries was blocked by a faculty advisor, Buckley is prepared to deal with pushback. “I understand you’re the faculty advisor,” Buckley said. “I’m the president, and I’m making the schedule, and I know students will thrive in small groups.”

He also feels he’ll be able to better control the plenary when it does meet in full groups, particularly the often disruptive rising seniors. “I will be able to control those people, because in the end, those actually are my close friends,” Buckley said.

A self-described “fighter,” Buckley hopes to advocate for students with administrators and take on external proposals. “I know that I won’t say no for an answer. I’m always going to seek compromise.”

The Parker Weekly • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in