High Holiday Absences

Parker Students Miss School For Jewish Holidays

Photo credit: Brooke Marsico

Jewish Parker students struggling to keep up after missing school for a High Holiday.

For students who observe the Jewish High Holidays, a time for religious celebration, reflection, and family, the time spent away from school can become stressful as they try to keep up with missed classwork and homework. 

The High Holidays, Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur take place in late September and early October this year. Jewish people attend synagogue during these holidays and participate in traditions with their families. As a result, many Jewish students are unable to attend school. 

“I’m going to synagogue on those days,” Izzy Sager, a Jewish student in the class of 2026, said, “it’s important to my family and I.” Before entering to Parker her freshman year, Sager attended Bernard Zell Anshe Day School, which halts classes entirely to celebrate the High Holidays.

“At my old school, we didn’t have to worry about missing school,” Sager said, “but now that I’m going to Parker, I’m not going to take missing school for granted anymore. I know I’m going to have to do extra work to keep up with my classmates.” For some students, the pressure and fear of extra work to catch up keeps them from missing school to celebrate. However, for others, like Sager, “it’s going to be worth it.”

Sophomore Phoebe Josephson will also be missing school for the holidays. “I’m stressed,” Josephson said. “I’m going to have to communicate with all of my teachers about it.”

Parker has a policy that teachers are not allowed to teach anything during the High Holidays that students would have to catch up on after their days of celebration. Instead, they are supposed to do work that may be beneficial but is less critical to the curriculum. 

The High Holidays don’t only affect Jewish students. The significant changes from a typical day also affect the students attending school and the Jewish and non-Jewish teachers. 

Sophomore Sloane Demetriou does not celebrate the High Holidays. “I don’t mind those school days or think they are that terrible,” Demetriou said. “While we don’t fill our time with stuff in the curriculum, and it feels like a waste of time at some points… I understand why the teachers have to do it. It has its benefits too, such as giving me the opportunity to catch up on previous work.”

Parker’s Jewish teachers are impacted by their students missing school or by missing themselves for the High Holidays. If they wish to spend the day celebrating, they must use one of their limited personal days. 

“I think the teachers are well aware that most Jewish students will be gone, and oftentimes they don’t do a lot on the days when so many will miss school.” Josephson added, “There are times where teachers have strayed from the policy, but overall, I think that the teachers are very good at accommodating everyone’s needs.”