Picky Eaters

Quest Could Do Better

Parker’s food service, Quest, strives to be as organic and healthy as possible. This makes sense, but it has come with negative consequences. When the cafeteria went from ice cream and waffles to coconut water and oatmeal cookies, this change has improved the cafeteria’s level of health, but not its taste.

The cafeteria tries too hard. Sometimes to get the best food, all you have to do is keep it simple. Keeping it simple is especially useful when feeding a large amount of people because it’s easier to please everyone that way. To get a sense of the attitude toward the cafeteria, I sent out a survey to upper school students, asking how satisfied they were with the cafeteria. Out of the 92 students who filled out the survey, 60 percent were not satisfied with the cafeteria, and 62 percent said that the cafeteria was too expensive.

I usually get lunch from the cafeteria because it’s the most convenient option, especially considering the time restraints of my schedule. As an alternative to the cafeteria, I usually choose Jimmy Johns for lunch because it’s fast, cheap, tasty, and not too unhealthy.  According to the survey, bringing lunch from home is the favorite alternative to the cafeteria for 18 percent of students, making it the most popular choice out of the 19 other options that students listed. The second most popular choice was always eating in the cafeteria, which 16 percent of students chose.

Uber Eats and Jimmy John’s were the two most popular restaurants cited as cafeteria alternatives. According to the Jimmy John’s website, an 8-inch sub sandwich contains from 480 to 690 calories, depending on which of the 7 sandwiches picked. The cafeteria doesn’t provide nutrition facts for their food because they use organic ingredients and constantly change up their recipes.

The cafeteria was the topic for Senate Lunch on a recent Wednesday. Domino’s pizza was provided for the discussion. Price was the first issue discussed. The Senate Heads wrote people’s opinions on the board. “Inherently too expensive” and “good produce shouldn’t come over good prices” were some of the comments written. Another complaint brought up was the serving sizes. I myself usually have to double my order when I’m buying fries from the cafeteria. “They limit your proportions, get smaller by the year” was one comment. I’m glad other people agree with me.

The last comment written on the board was this: “we shouldn’t hold caf. to such a high standard.” I disagree. I think the cafeteria holds itself to this standard. On the Parker website, Quest Food’s description is packed with expectations. “Quest is dedicated to utilizing quality produce and meats and to providing students, faculty and staff with the best flavor and nutrition in foods.” Saying that you’re dedicated to providing the best flavor and nutrition is a pretty bold promise. And I think it’s one we should hold the cafeteria to.