Editorial, Issue 7 – Volume CVI

The “R” Word

In the 2015-2016 school year we both welcomed and said goodbye to a new Head of the Upper School. We lost our Upper School Dean of Students of only two years. And following perhaps the most awkward and mishandled MX in recent Parker history, we lost our Director of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI), also of only two years. It was tumultuous, to say the least.

Although classes carried on normally, sports teams won and lost, and Parker traditions occurred as they always do, a tense atmosphere between some teachers, parents, students, and administrators arose as a result of the transition and turnover. This tension compromised our ability to have difficult conversations about race, which was especially problematic in a time when many members of the community were feeling unsupported.

We haven’t had formal Racial Dialogues since 2013, but we take even greater issue in the absence of quality conversation about race in academic classes where it is relevant.  It is our responsibility as a progressive school whose ethos is  “honor the dignity and experience of every human being” not to avoid difficult conversations, but to welcome them.

We understand that we did not have the proper infrastructure to run successful conversations on race last year or this year.  The upcoming school year, though, should be focused on having conversations about race because of our current efforts to rebuild trust in the community.

In February Principal Dan Frank announced our new Upper School Head who has held the position of Diversity Director. Justin Brandon is excited to be “part of a community that is welcoming and opening, is willing to at times have conversations about anything and everything that’s going on in school and outside of school.”  

In an update regarding Parker’s strategic plan, Frank highlighted that three new Diversity Equity Inclusion roles will be created, one for each major division of the school. These new leadership roles, we hope, will help develop and coordinate innovative teaching, curriculum, and faculty professional meetings, in a manner that extends across divisions and departments.

Our efforts in recruiting diverse faculty have not wavered––Parker hosted the 12th annual Diversity Job Fair on February 25. But even more important than recruiting diverse faculty, Director of Human Resources Laureen Sweers said, is the retention of faculty and staff of color. The fact that we’ve acknowledged the importance of retention and focusing efforts on creating a space where faculty of color can feel supported and welcomed, shows growth from the turmoil of last year.

The school continues its work with the Diversity Support Coordinators, a group of faculty and staff who who meet on a regular basis to go over diversity initiatives and areas of concern.  The students have yet to tap into the services and counseling that this group can offer.  

If these initiatives are working as effectively as they look on paper, we will surely be in a place in the 2017-2018 school year to resume the kinds of discussions that have dissipated in recent past. To be sure we the current seniors want to leave Parker knowing the school is working hard to ensure students understand and talk about their racial identities. We juniors, sophomores, and freshman hope to be exposed to more difficult conversations so as to become the global citizens Parker strives to create.