Garg Takes the High Mountain Institute

Junior Olivia Garg Leaves Parker For a Semester Away

Photo credit: Olivia Garg

Olivia Garg wears a grass headband while hiking through the Utah Desert at night on her school orientation trip.

Olivia Garg is being FaceTimed into her old history class from Vail, Colorado.

It’s the first day of Upper School History teacher Jeanne Barr’s C-Period U.S. History II, and junior Olivia Garg’s face takes up the full screen of a black iPhone. While Barr discusses her expectations for the second semester, Garg–listening in on the class’s conversation–is texting junior Levi Sheridan with furious speed. When it’s time to watch a movie, he props his phone up against a nearby lunch box so Garg can watch too.

Garg wasn’t absent as the result of a vacation or family emergency–she was in the Rockies to prepare for a semester away from Parker at the High Mountain Institute in Leadville, Colorado. After first semester finals ended, Garg flew west with her parents to spend a weekend in the Centennial State before she arrived at school on January 24.

Garg found out about the school from her sister, senior Talia Garg. “I woke up with ten emails from Talia, all semester schools,” Olivia said. “She looked at it and signed herself up as my mom on all of them so she would get notifications for when the applications were due.”

Talia first learned about semester schools her freshman year when five members of Parker’s class of 2016 spent time away during the 2015-16 school year. “When I was a sophomore, I remembered semester schools,” Talia said.  “I wanted to go to City Term in New York, but I remembered them too late so I couldn’t go.  So I told Olivia, ‘You should look into them,’ and together we chose four that she liked, and then she decided on HMI.”

Olivia’s involving Talia in her school choice is representative of the sisters’ relationship. “We do basically everything together at home,” Talia said. “But when it comes to who we are as a person, it’s very different.”

Olivia’s bond with her sister made the decision to leave difficult, as next year Talia intends to leave home and study at New York University while Olivia intends to spend the summer at camp. Olivia’s semester away will be the sisters’ last months under the same roof for a spell. “Once she left, it made me realize that it is really our last time together as a family like this,” Talia said. “Like you don’t live with these people anymore, and it’s definitely going to be different, and it’s definitely going to be hard.”

Despite the difficulty of saying goodbye, Talia is supportive of her sister’s decision and believes that it will aid in her development. “I think this will be really good for her,” Talia said. “I think it will help her find herself even more.” Talia went on, citing a solo-camping trip which Olivia will be required to take as a part of her time at HMI.

Talia’s adamance that Oliva Garg will enjoy her semester away is furthered by Sam Lovett, a friend of the sisters’ who, with the Gargs, attended both Abraham Lincoln Elementary School and Camp Kamaji for Girls. Lovett is now a senior at the Dwight-Englewood School in Englewood, New Jersey, but last year she spent a semester at the High Mountain Institute.

“Writing a book series wouldn’t be enough to describe it,” Lovett said of HMI. “It was all about developing what good learning felt like. The school taught that type of knowledge you wanted to know – it made you excited to go to class.”

The value of the High Mountain Institute extends beyond the classroom too, Lovett said. “Every experience is different and so unique and so fun, but your experience doesn’t have to be a crazy day like canyoneering in the canyons,” Lovett said. “It can literally just be going for a run, which…Olivia will be doing at six in the morning.”

Garg likewise feels that personal interests and strengths will aid her experience at HMI. “It’s just really, really effing cool,” Garg said. “Everything is environmental and outdoorsy–it’s just an experience to do something new.”

Lovett agreed. “A part of it was experiential learning,” Lovett said. “Science class was never boring. We were learning about the physics of an avalanche – so still learning about physics – but we would actually go crosscountry skiing to spot avalanches, and one time we even simulated our own.”

A few weeks into her time at the High Mountain Institute, Garg has deeply invested in the school’s pedagogy. “They uphold the idea of wanting to learn and asking questions,” Garg said. “It’s all about personal improvement.”

Garg looks forward to the remainder of her semester. “I love it here,” Garg said. “The people I am with make everything fun and support me in everything I do. The friends I’ve made are amazing.”