In Response to “Only 17 Minutes Strong”

Dear Editors,

While I extol Natalie Daskal’s efforts to enact change by serving on an organizational committee for the “March for our Lives Chicago,” I believe that her assessment of Parker’s walkout was unfair for several reasons. Contrary to what she implicitly stated, the walkout did not undercut the laudable efforts of her organization, but rather served as a day of expression–for her as well as every other member of the middle and upper school communities.

Because Parker students did not challenge authority with the Walkout, the author suggests that it was ineffective (with the exception of the seventeen minutes of silence).

But should Parker students not express themselves simply because their administration happens to be more progressive than others? Why does that expression not count?

In addition, the article stated, “The goal of unity was not achieved by Parker. What we think is going above and beyond is saying to other schools, ‘We are better, and care more.’”

I consider this assertion misguided because I observed several students deliver passionate poems and speeches. Were their sentiments inappropriate because they “conveyed a message to other schools that their efforts were worse than ours?”

Also, to what schools did we send this message? Latin—a school engaged in Project Week? Lab—a school on Spring Break? Because of these engagements, Latin and Lab could not engage in a walkout. How would they be offended by our efforts if they could not participate in an event that we could upstage?

Irrespective of that fact, virtually every school in the Chicago area would have little knowledge of Parker’s effort because they were engaged in their own March 14 activities.

All that aside, many students delivered speeches, recited poetry, and/or marched not for a grade on their report cards, but for their commitment to the cause. Their eloquence and their passion should not be diminished by the belief that Parker has undermined the efforts of other schools instead of attempting to live up to its credo.

Sincerely,

Ian Shayne ‘20