Editorial, Issue 10 — Volume CVIII

Prior Review Contradicts Parker’s Mission

For the first time in recent memory, Principal Dan Frank ‘74 reviewed “The Parker Weekly” in its totality before publication, forcing the Editors-in-Chief to strike content before publication. Editor-in-Chief of “The Weekly” during the 1972-73 school year, Frank personally approved each and every story in this issue.

This practice is known as “prior review” if administrators read but do not edit, and “prior restraint” if content is stricken. “Prior restraint” is defined by the Principal’s Guide to Scholastic Journalism as “the practice of school administrators––or anyone in a position of authority outside the editorial staff––demanding that they be allowed to read (or preview) and edit copy prior to publication and/or distribution.”

The practice of prior review is contrary to both the idea of a progressive institution and of a student newspaper.

The introduction of prior review to “The Weekly’s” publication process is likely in reaction to the editorial printed in Issue 9 of our paper. The article portrayed the administration in a less-than-favorable light. Introducing administrative restrictions on “The Weekly” in reaction to healthy criticism is far from a proportionate response.

As student journalists, we make mistakes, and we are held accountable by our peers, our community, and our own moral compasses. We take responsibility, and correct any discrepancies. Our writers are not perfect. We actively welcome feedback on any published article, especially from those with dissenting opinions.

Instituting prior restraint both stifles student voice and hinders our staff’s ability to learn ethical and responsible journalism.

“The Weekly” does not exist as a marketing tool for the school or to readily praise those in power. On the contrary, the responsibility of the student press is to, among other things, represent the voices of all members of the student body and encourage transparency. When fulfilling this responsibility involves criticizing authority, such action is dutifully necessary.

According to its mission statement, Parker aims to raise students to act as “responsible citizens and leaders in a diverse democratic society and global community.” By instituting prior review, the administration is preventing students from exercising their voices and encouraging change. How can the school raise citizens who speak up and create a better world when they are not permitted to do so within their own community?

The school enforces this mission throughout everyday teaching. A few weeks ago, Parker hosted a Morning Ex entitled “Peaceful Fights for Equal Rights.” The MX conveyed that disruption is necessary to achieve what is right. It is ironic that the school can simultaneously encourage its students to create peaceful disturbance in the greater world while quashing their ability to do so in the building.

Writing for “The Weekly” has taught each and every member of our staff about the power and responsibility of the written word. Yet for our commitment, we remain high school students––it is crucial for us to learn how to deal with errors and complaints without administrative interference.

While threatening to censor students’ voices, Parker cannot call itself an “embryonic democracy.” While we understand the administration is not legally bound to respect it, the First Amendment of our democracy guarantees a free press for a reason.

Criticism and examination of authority is critical to any functioning democracy, and if Parker serves to reflect the values of our larger society it must guarantee an uncensored student newspaper.