Let’s Get Real, Issue 11

See You Later Parker

As I wrap up my last two weeks of senior year, it’s difficult to believe that the end of my high school career is coming to an end. Like the band, Semisonic said, “Every new beginning comes from some other beginning’s end.” Five years ago, I came to Parker with an emerald and gray backpack, shaking, and with a number two pencil in hand. 

Throughout my years at Parker, I participated in the trial of Socrates, made a home out of the fourth-floor gallery, ate Chef Zac’s bagels, laughed, embarrassed myself, and painted the hallways of Parker with nothing but perspective. 

Now, I’m headed off to college, with a black Northface backpack, Bic lead pencils, excited but shaking. 

In the middle of the senior retreat, I was told to write goodbye letters to people who have impacted my high school experience. Before writing any letter, I reflected on the word, goodbye. I concluded that I don’t believe in saying “goodbye” rather “see you later.” 

The word “goodbye” implies that there isn’t a possibility that you’ll encounter someone’s presence down the road. This may sound cheesy, but I believe you re-encounter people in your life that were meant to stay in it. 

Most importantly, you choose whether or not someone continues walking with you in the next journey of your life. That’s why I’ve found it essential to re-think about the way we leave people in our lives. 

On a lighter note, like many seniors, I’ll miss the uniqueness of being a Parker student. Many things make Parker unique such as Morning Ex, bagpipes, window painting, and County Fair. I’ve come to realize that Parker’s uniqueness will leave me with many stories to reminisce about. 

Stories that only people who have attended Parker will understand. For example, when I tell a stranger that I had a piece of the house in eighth grade at the Corinthian’s Morning Ex, they’ll be utterly confused. If I told this to a Parker alumnus or student, we would probably start singing the Piece of the House song together. 

For the class of 2021, being a senior wasn’t an easy road. From being socially and physically distant from our friends/classmates, navigating the college process to maintaining focus in online classes, we’ve made it to the end of the tunnel. 

I hope you continue illuminating your light wherever you go. If your light isn’t appreciated, step away because there will be people who will keep it radiating. Finally, I’d like to say thank you to Parker teachers, security, maintenance staff, and everyone who made my Parker experience unforgettable. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. See you later, Parker.