Selfies in Ink

You open up Snapchat and see a multitude of new stories. Clicking on one, you see rows of red solo cups in a crowded basement. Behind the night’s entertainment you see your smartest classmates, drowned in unconsciousness.

There is a limit to what someone should post on social media when it comes to partying. If someone posts a photo of himself drinking, then he is putting himself at risk in terms of the college process and harming his friendships by not inviting everyone in his friend group to the party. If people are not drinking, then they should feel free to share their party experiences online–but only at the expense of someone else’s feelings.

Colleges conduct internet searches on prospective students to learn about their social and academic culture. President of The College Advisor of New York Dean Skarlis told ABC News on October 19, 2012 that what high school students deem as appropriate for social media may not be considered appropriate by a college admissions officer.

If a college discovered a prospective student drinking on social media, that would negatively affect the ultimate decision of the admissions committee because the student would be seen as a less desirable candidate, according to The New York Times. Colleges want to protect their school and their name. The smarter decision is for a high school student to not risk posting an incriminating picture.

Some think that since “everyone” changes their names on Facebook in senior year, colleges can’t find them in their searches. But there’s technology to counteract this “shield.” Whenever colleges search a prospective student’s name on the internet, according to bestcolleges.com, they type in different combinations of the student’s first and last names. Students should be worried about what they post.   

If people are partying but not drinking, then they would seem to be okay to post because they are not doing anything to disrupt the safety and health of others. They’re simply having a good time and want to share their contentment with their followers and friends. But their contentment could lead to someone else’s disappointment at not having been invited.

You may be spending your Saturday night studying for an exam and open up Facebook to find that all of your friends are at someone’s house, and you weren’t invited. You feel upset because you weren’t included.

By drinking to declare how cool they are, Upper Schoolers think they’re the “alpha-males” or “alpha-females.” But why should being an “alpha” be confined to drinking? Why can’t “alpha” be a label for a positive personality trait or good deed done for the community?

Be cautious about what you post. It’s better not to post at all than to risk harming your friendships and your future.  One red solo cup can break you.