Don’t Rain on Parker’s Parade

The County Fair tradition returns

Photo credit: Francis W. Parker School

Parker students engage in activities on the field at County Fair.

After COVID-19 crashed the usual fall County Fair, the well-loved Parker event returned this past spring. As the first County Fair since the start of the pandemic, expectations were high.

In the fall of 2021, when the fair was initially scheduled, weekly coronavirus screening detected numerous positive cases in Lower and Middle School. The highly contagious virus continued to spread, eventually leading to the entire first grade moving to remote learning.

County Fair is a longstanding Parker tradition that students from JK to 12th grade look forward to every year. Every grade plays a role in the school-wide event, which consists of games, photo booths, snacks, singing, and even an obstacle course. What would it be without the presence of the first grade and other students and teachers in quarantine?

The rescheduling of the fair disappointed many Parker community members, especially the sophomores who are in charge of planning the event each year. However, in spring 2022, the class of 2024 was back at it again, preparing for County Fair. The theme was chosen to be “Everything Blue and White, Celebrating 120 Years!” in reference to Parker’s 120th anniversary. 

On May 27th, the day of the fair arrived. Organizers had to navigate the pandemic as well as the uncooperative weather with scattered rain showers. Despite the complications, the sophomores and their grade heads, Upper School history teacher Andrew Bigelow and Upper School math teacher Victoria Lee, pulled it all together. 

County Fair carried on, and compared to previous years, pre-pandemic, “It was almost identical,” Bigelow said. “We were so pleased with how it all unfolded… I feel like everyone rallied to make it special and the same.” 

After ten years as sophomore grade heads, Bigelow and Lee are excited to hand over their roles to Upper School computer science teacher Brianna Ifft and Upper School science teacher Xiao Zhang. “Big-Lee had a good run,” said Bigelow, “and now it’s time for us to move on.”

Ifft shared her enthusiasm for taking on the new role. “I thoroughly look forward to being more embedded in our student community and being an advocate for the sophomore class,” she said. “Though we have big shoes to fill, and no school year is without challenges, I couldn’t have asked for a better co-grade head (Zhang) with which to navigate the year ahead.”

As for the coming year, the planning has already begun. Eleven County Fair Heads were selected through an application process. Over the summer, student County Fair Heads have worked with their grade heads to brainstorm a list of themes and eventually determined the official fall 2022 County Fair theme, which will be announced at the beginning of the school year. They are designing this year’s artwork for t-shirts, sweatshirts, and signs. 

“I was super happy when I saw the email saying I had been selected as a County Fair Head,” rising sophomore Zoe Gary said. “I’ve always loved the fair since I came to Parker in third grade, and I’m excited to finally be the one planning it. I think it’s a great leadership opportunity where I get to work with my friends and have tons of fun in the process. I can’t wait to see it all come together in the fall.”

The planning and execution of County Fair is truly a team effort, and with all of last year’s complications, everyone is hoping for a smoother run this year. 

“As with any big event that impacts the community, I’m sure there will be difficulties that we can’t foresee,” Ifft says. “However, I have confidence in our team to navigate whatever is thrown our way!”