Get to Know Mr. Amo

Parker’s newest Spanish teacher begins his tenure

Photo credit: Emily Evans

New Upper School Spanish Teacher Antonio Amo Quintenila poses at his desk.

A new face is walking around the hallways, perhaps waving to some people as he passes by them. His name is Antonio Amo Quintenila, and he is the new Upper School Spanish teacher. Amo is the latest addition to the Department of Cultural Studies at Parker, and he will primarily be teaching freshmen and seniors. 

Amo is from Valencia, Spain. He majored in Art History at Universidad de Valencia, and received a bachelor’s degree in Spanish from Arizona State University. Amo also has a masters degree in the education of world languages from DePaul University. He taught at Lycee Francais in Chicago, the French International private school, for ten years. Growing up, many people in Amo’s family worked in education, which influenced his decision to pursue a career in teaching. However, he didn’t know for sure until he came across an inspiring teacher in high school. 

“This teacher really shared a passion for teaching with the class and made a difference in my life,” Amo said. “From that moment, I knew I wanted to do the same thing.”

Amo was drawn to Parker because he appreciates the student body and is interested in progressive education. “I believe that there are lots of opportunities for creativity, as well as interesting projects to be a part of that can strengthen the sense of community,” Amo said.

During his free time, Amo likes to study the architecture of the cities he visits, and he likes to draw. He also enjoys watching tennis and spending time with his family and friends. Amo occasionally builds big lego sets. He also plays the guitar. His favorite musicians are artists he grew up listening to, including Los Delincuentes, Platero Tu, and El Canto del Loco, artists he grew up listening to.

Amo has taught in middle school and high school. He strongly believes that people can be lifelong learners, and he likes to focus intently on each learner.

Amo advises students to live in another country for at least a year. “Living in a place with a different culture from your own, and not just visiting for a few days or weeks, will definitely have a tremendous impact in the way they think and see others,” Amo said.