Keeping It Pho-Real

Parker Bucket List

I have surely read enough “Weekly” articles to know how to write a column by now—I think. For the avid “Weekly” readers who can’t recall seeing my name in any previous issue, that would be because it has never been in it. To anyone who doesn’t know me, my name is Phoebe, I am a senior, and this is my first article. 

Some may wonder, “Why would somebody start writing for the ‘Weekly’ when you’re a senior? Isn’t it a little late for that?” And to those people, I say, that is exactly my point; I am very much late, but that is why I am writing this now.

Before the school year started, my friends and I joked about doing random and spontaneous things that we would never have done in other years. It began with “ask a bold question in Student Government” or “win a day of spirit week.” Jokingly, I made a notes document titled “senior year” and added more ideas. Before I knew it, my notes document was filled with everything I had always wanted to do throughout my years at Parker but never got around to. 

The list grew exponentially: from three tasks to 10, to 22, to almost three dozen. Some tasks include getting impeached—done—writing my first “Weekly” article —recently done—going to a sports game of a Parker team I had never seen play before, asking a question in MX, sending an all-school email, going to a model UN symposium, etc. As I have continued to work on this list, I have added things that are more “milestones” than “tasks,” like making a new friend, getting into college, and getting rejected from college. 

For example, take this article. Ever since my freshman year, whenever a new “Weekly” issue came out, I was so eager to read what the witty writers came up with this time, secretly envious of their work. Even throughout the following high school years, my desire to write at least one article had only grown but was quickly shut down by the anxious thoughts of “what if everyone thinks my article is bad?” And “there is no way I will ever be able to write with the eloquence that these writers have.” The difference is that now, I am secure enough to ignore these thoughts, at least for long enough to write an article. 

My little bucket list goes beyond a silly little way to be spontaneous in my last year of high school. I spent my last three years terrified of judgment, which stopped me from doing many of the items I have on my list. I realized that I would never forgive myself if I graduated without doing everything I had wanted to do, especially if it was out of fear. So now, I’ve set out to accomplish all the tasks I had once been so afraid to, and so can you.

But you don’t have to be like me. You don’t have to wait until you feel fully comfortable to accomplish the things that you want to do. The only reason that I feel comfortable putting myself out there is that I had to push myself to be uncomfortable. Who cares that you have never written in the “Weekly” or that you have no experience in Student Government? If you want to do something, take my advice, do it now. You don’t want to end up like poor old Phoebe over here, trying to cram three years of activities into one year.

I’m looking forward to seeing my upcoming progress on the bucket list, and hopefully, if it goes as planned, I will give an update.