Young Women in Math and Science

Juniors Form Club to Involve Girls in STEM

The new Young Women in Math and Science Club is a means for female students to explore their interest in the generally male dominated fields of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics– STEM for short.

The club, led by juniors Lauren Goodman and Jordan Sachs since earlier this year, is composed of fifteen girls in tenth and eleventh grades and advised by Upper School science teacher Leslie Webster.  Through holding events such as museum field trips and guest speakers, the club hopes to cultivate female students’ interest in math and science.

“I’ve always liked math and science, particularly chemistry and biology,” Goodman said, “but I found that there was no real place for me to explore the fields I enjoy outside of the classroom.”

According to Goodman and Sachs, the club is beginning to pick up momentum this year as it holds regular meetings and events.

In recent meetings members have discussed the experience of women in STEM fields and future plans for the club. Recent discussion has included the two women in math and science careers who have introduced themselves to the Parker community in the past months–Sian Beilock, the Pritzker visiting scientist, and Eugenia Cheng, the mathematician who gave an MX in November.

“It’s been primarily men in the industry for so long,” Sachs said, “so it’s great that more women are getting interested and involved here at Parker.”

As the club continues to develop, the leaders hope to increase its involvement with the Parker community.  This includes involving more girls in the high school and organizing events that will spark or continue interest in STEM fields.  According to Goodman and Sachs, plans for the future include traveling to more Chicago museums, having brunch with a panel of different women to talk about their experiences in science, and getting involved in the lower school science fair.

Sachs said, “Our main long-term goal is mainly to just get girls in the high school excited about math and science.”

The Census Bureau’s 2009 American Community Survey showed that women comprise 48% of the US workforce, but just 24% of workers in STEM fields.  According to the Young Women in Math and Science Club leaders, it is crucial that girls have opportunity to pursue their interests math and science during high school so that they will be more inclined to follow those career paths.

“It’s important for young girls to feel as if they have a place in a field that’s ultimately dominated by men,” Goodman said. “There needs to be an encouraging environment that promotes female participation in STEM fields.  The Young Women in Math and Science Club is a step in accomplishing this.”