Play Production Has Begun

Students and faculty begin working on this year’s soccer-themed Fall Play, “The Wolves”

Soccer. Competition. Gossip. Teamwork. Eight girls who must put their differences aside and come together as a team. Betrayal. Friendship. Drama. All of these themes can be found in Parker’s upcoming production of “The Wolves.” 

This year’s annual Fall play will feature a unique, sporty, personal story. The play depicts a high school soccer team called The Wolves. Throughout the show, the girls struggle with player injuries, internal team gossip, a goalie plagued with severe social anxiety, and a mysterious new girl, #46. The team must learn how to work together and accept each other’s struggles. 

Parker’s Fall Play is an opportunity open to all Upper Schoolers, regardless of prior theater experience. The play is directed by Parker’s Upper School drama teacher Cassie Slater. Auditorium manager Tom Moster works along with Slater as the theater coordinator. He handles licensing to perform the play and attends rehearsals to assist the cast and crew. 

Shop teacher Nick Rupard also assists them as stagecraft manager. He works with the stagecraft team to build the sets and other necessary decorations. This year’s play is unique due to its latest addition to the directing team, a movement director specializing in soccer. 

The Wolves is a one-act play first performed in 2016. It was written and directed by Sarah DeLappe and was produced off-broadway. The play received the American Playwriting Foundation’s inaugural Relentless Award and was a New York Times Critic’s Pick. The play also won an Obie Ensemble Award and was a finalist for the 2017 Pulitzer Prize for Drama. 

Almost all of the play’s scenes depict warm-ups for the team. This form of storytelling with simultaneous dialogue and movement resonated with Slater.

“I loved the poetry and energy of the piece,” she said. “The actors do soccer warm-ups the entire play. The physicality of the play is a wonderful undercurrent for the poetry of the language Sarah DeLappe has weaved.” 

The primary message of the play examines life as a teenage girl and the raw transition into adulthood. When asked why she chose the play, Slater said, “It speaks to the teenage experience and I love that. It’s telling a story about high school kids – the good, the bad, and the ugly – and I think it will resonate not only with the actors on stage but with the audience as well.” 

“To me, this play is all about learning as you grow,” Moster said. “It is important to never stop learning as we go through life, and such an important part of that is learning from those around you.” 

Auditions for the play began Wednesday, September 17 in room 305. All students are welcome to get involved, even if acting is not a main interest. In addition to acting, students can participate in the stage crew to build the sets and decorations, or they can join the run crew and operate the lights and technical aspects. Slater will also have students help promote the play leading up to performance day and assist as ushers. 

The show runs from November 8 to 10 in the Auditorium. Junior Alex Chaouki noted, “I am very excited to see what this year’s play is all about. I am really hoping it’s as good as last year’s!”