Pau Ponders

Ponderings from an almost-May senior
Pau+Ponders

I can’t believe I am approaching the end of my senior year. After seven years of roaming the Parker halls, I am close to the end. An end that was completely expected, scheduled, and planned—but feels like it just randomly appeared. I cannot imagine a world without a Senior Snack Drawer, homemade bagels, and Senior Assassin. 

Now, I can’t believe I’m exiting Parker and Chicago for the next four years. Moving forward, Clark Street will not hold my cramming for exams, too frequent Starbucks runs, or dining at Green Tea. 

As I sit in the alcove, surrounded by those who I’ve grown up with, it’s incomparable to imagine my last day of high school… that happens to be in two weeks. My entire life has revolved around Parker, and suddenly, it’s not anymore? Although I have definitely counted down the minutes to the end of a class, I simply cannot imagine how I’ll feel as that final minute strikes. I am excited by the promise of a new environment, filled with new friends and experiences but Parker represents a safe space. I always know who I’ll see, and what I may encounter. But now, I am tasked with entering a new life, far from the Parker gates.

This new life feels like fiction, which is a mindset I am familiar with when I entered high school. Despite it being online, I still felt a personal pressure. I wanted to succeed, yet high school seemed like an unachievable challenge. This pressure stemmed from my own anxiety. If you’re feeling this way, here’s a piece of advice: no one cares enough. When walking into school, one may feel that they don’t look their best, or are wearing their least favorite attire. To that I say, honestly, no one cares enough. Don’t focus your attention and time on the little things that matter throughout high school. Focus on what really matters: forming genuine relationships and doing the best you can in school. By doing so, you will actually enjoy your time in high school (whether you look forward to attending school or not) and lessen the impact of your anxiety.

Additionally, I’d like to emphasize the importance of being grateful for your teachers. Parker, despite its negatives and challenges, is filled with incredibly passionate and kind teachers. Please please get to know them, as they are here to help you succeed. If you are experiencing some external challenge and can’t do your homework, email them. If you aren’t understanding a certain concept, see them after class. If you need a space to rest, reach out to them. You do not understand the times I’ve walked into Mr. Tyler’s room with incredible confusion and walked out with a better confidence in Calculus. Or the number of times I’ve walked into College Counseling, Mr. Bruno’s office, Ms. Zeller’s office, Ms. Abood’s room, Mr. Laufer’s room, Ms. Olt’s room and so many more spaces (the list is infinite) just to get to know my teachers. Please please seek them out… ask any senior, they will definitely agree.

Moreover, I would like to focus on the importance of holding a balance in high school. You want to gain good grades but also have fun. This balance is crucial in enjoying your time in the Upper School. To do this, I recommend you strengthen your time management skills. Finish your homework when you have time to do it, so you can spend your other free time having fun. Additionally, something I’ve learned is you’ll always find time to do an assignment, so if there’s an opportunity to have fun– take it. For example, I should’ve written this column over the weekend, yet I knew I would find a time to finalize it today during school. This rule applies to all assignments except studying. You need to study… trust me. Especially for Calculus. 

Finally, I’d like to offer one piece of advice. Everything will work out, especially in the college process. The college counselors repeated this piece of knowledge constantly, and to my September-self, it felt cringy and unhelpful. However, as I look back to the college application season, I am so happy with how it went. I am incredibly grateful I wasn’t accepted through Early Decision or to certain “dream” schools. I am so excited for my future, and I can’t wait to look back at Parker with a grateful and happy lens.