Parker Needs to Connect its Divisions

Parker is really three schools each divorced from the other. Next year the schedule might help to bridge this gap, but by and large I don’t see this changing without intentional change. The most effective bridge between the divisions is Big Little Siblings, but this program is too narrow. So let’s start with some potential changes that could be made to remedy that problem, at least in part. 

First of all, the adoption of a new schedule that creates more common times between divisions (or at least that’s what I understand) is a great way to make it easier to bridge that gap. First, clubs and student organizations can fill that role. There can be groups that work between grades which include different divisions, there can be versions of clubs in both the Upper and Middle Schools (like exists for Model UN) that have consistent interactions and a kind of mentorship program (unlike exists for MUN). 

Another opportunity to build connections between grades would be to build a connection between Parker PM and the Upper School. We could teach guest classes or play games with students or anything else the people who run the programs need. Because this is an after school program, the logistics involved are less intense then one during the day and it could be a one time or repeat activity. It would also be a good way to build connections with younger students allowing for a sort of mentorship before Big Siblings. 

Next we can expand the Big Siblings program. As is, it’s one of my favorite parts of senior year. Most of the other traditions from senior year I could take or leave, but Big Siblings are consistently a light in my day. Whenever I look at my calendar and see that I’ll be going to see my second grade siblings, I’m happy. I think this program should be expanded even though it may be a logistical nightmare. First, we should simply increase the frequency of Big Siblings. They’re too infrequent to really develop relationships with your siblings. Second, they should be expanded into different activities. The game days organized by the PE department are a great start, but adding things like helping with science fairs or any other sorts of activities would be a really fun and ideally helpful way of getting to know the siblings and teachers. Finally (and I know this might not be a popular move because it would dilute it as a tradition solely for seniors), I think you should get little siblings when you are a sophomore, so you can get to know them better, facilitate more connections, and because there are more people, high schoolers can be assigned to a smaller group of younger kids and have an even more personal connection with your younger siblings. 

I have probably missed a million more ways to bring together the different divisions and overlooked  millions of reasons why my ideas are impractical, but I hope the idea of building a closer, more complete, school is seriously considered because I think the grades that follow ours will be better for it.