The student news site of Francis W. Parker School

The Parker Weekly

The Parker Weekly

The Parker Weekly

Acting in Absence

The imminent departure of the beloved Middle School Drama teacher Ed Garza
Photo credit: Benjamin Kagan
Ed Garza outside the Middle School office.

Do you know the answer to the test? A stunned sixth grader could tell you in a second. If you walk by the fourth floor halls to the arts wing, you will find Mr. Garza’s classroom: show lights, camera, and action. Students ranging from ages 10-14 enjoy stagecraft, acting, and  learning the art of performance. But after more than 25 years of dedication and brilliance,  Middle School drama teacher Mr. Garza is retiring this year. 

His presence in the performing arts department will be missed. Mr. Garza has been a part of the Parker community since 1999 and has made his mark not only in the Drama department but  in other facets of the school. Mr. Garza is a graduate of The Second City Track Club Conservatory. A director at The Second City, he has directed several companies including: Salsation, Theatre Building Chicago, Midtown, and Diane Herrera’s New York premier of The Job. 

Through the years, Mr. Garza has had landmark success in the Middle School regarding performing arts. As Parker’s first full time Middle School teacher, he built the foundation and the platform for students to express their creativity through the arts. He directed the eighth grade musical which turned into the Middle School musical. In addition, Mr. Garza founded the Students of Color affinity groups in the Middle School and held community service positions on a national level while working alongside Cesar Chavez. 

When asked what his fondest memory of Parker, he commented that, “there are a lot of them. I don’t know if I could isolate it to a very specific thing, but I have found a lot of pressure when there is a student who couldn’t do something that all of a sudden discovers that they can.” Garza added that, “whether enduring and suffering from the monologues they have to memorize and then realizing that they could do it. Those moments bring me a lot of joy.”

The  Drama department has evolved over the years.“When I first started at the High School, the program was really big. Part of it was that the schedule could accommodate students in Performing Arts better. However, recently, we are in a situation where we have to juggle so many things, and it has become more difficult. This has had a domino effect on the Middle School,” Garza said. The hope is that with the new schedule, Middle Schoolers can accommodate more drama activities and gain a stronger foundation in performing arts, preparing them better for High School programs. This change aims to foster a renewed interest in drama, encouraging more students to participate and develop their skills from an earlier stage, ultimately revitalizing the overall drama program.

Ed Garza is an influential figure in our community and has changed the landscape of our Performing Arts program in profound ways. His dedication and passion have inspired countless students to explore their creativity and develop a love for drama. As he retires after more than 25 years of service, his legacy will undoubtedly endure through the programs and initiatives he established, such as the Middle School musical and the Students of Color affinity groups. His ability to make every student feel capable and confident in their abilities has left an indelible mark on our school. Though his presence will be greatly missed, the foundations he has laid will continue to support and nurture future generations of students in their artistic endeavors. When asked what his plans were after retirement, he responded, “Nothing.” Mr. Garza will be greatly missed in the Parker community, and his retirement is well-deserved after many years of dedication and hard work.