The Cookie Jar is Full Again

Cookies Return for the First Time in Two Years

Cookies–alternative, two-day curricula led on April 28-29 by students and faculty together to emphasize the joy of learning outside the context of grades and evaluation–are back for just the second time since 2011.

The program started as a proposal in Student Government during the 1998-99 school year, and was ratified in 1999-2000, with the goal of “creating a way for students and faculty to participate in an activity that they would not normally be able to do for two unique days,” according to the Bylaws of Student Government, which go on to add that “these topics should be both educational and engaging.”

In the 2013-14 and 2015-16 school years, students were not able to complete the required minimum of 25 proposals for Cookies to occur. “I was disappointed when Cookies did not happen last year,” Allie Bensinger, President of Student Government, said.  “I think any time that we have a goal to reach as a student body, and we don’t reach that goal, it’s disappointing for all involved, whether it’s getting the tables taken away for lunch or not having Cookies.”

Bensinger noticed that in previous years, students were not given the opportunity to brainstorm and draft Cookies ideas because of the madness the winter school term creates. She went out of her way this year to create a chance for the student body to draft Cookies proposals. “This year we took a ton of time during Student Government to let students write their Cookies,” she said, “so that definitely helped the process move along.”

Bensinger, along with the Curriculum Committee, held a plenary session strictly for drafting ideas, and also organized a Senate on February 3 based solely on the topic of drafting Cookies proposals.  “Our Senate generated lots of proposals and really raised morale for Cookies,” Bensinger said. “I think it played a huge part in eclipsing the 25 required proposals.” A total of 32 Cookies proposals were sent to Rolanda Shepard, Parker’s registrar, before the February 26 deadline.

The Curriculum Committee, whose goal is to enable students to advise the administration and faculty on matters regarding curriculum, played a significant role in making Cookies happen this year. “One of our goals as a committee was to have enough proposals for Cookies to happen this year,” Alina Ekbal, Curriculum Committee head, said. “Cookies are crucial to our committee having success.”

To start off the school year, Curriculum Committee set up a number of Cookies writing workshops, communicated with faculty, and even hand-delivered actual cookies and handwritten notes to upper school teachers inviting them to a Cookies-writing workshop. The committee stayed in contact with everyone proposing Cookies.  “We really wanted Cookies to happen,” Ekbal said, “as is evident by all the work we put in.”

Some of the Cookies offered this year include Ice Cream Making and Biking, in which students will learn to make ice cream and bike to various ice cream shops around Chicago; A Cappella, in which students will learn the art of harmonization and vocal percussion; and a Crash Course in Robotics, in which students will spend the day learning about and building robots at a beginner level. Parker’s Upper School assistant Rolanda Shepard pointed out the diversity of the topics covered.  “There are a wide variety of Cookies this year,” she said, “and they explore the interests of the entire student body.”

While Parker students will spend their two days in the Chicagoland area, students at the Latin School had the opportunity to travel all over the globe for its version of Cookies called Project Week, which occurred during one week in March. Some of the travel options included: Chorus and music study in Paris; sea kayaking in Baja; exploring the Amazon in Brazil; and service trips to Berlin, Cuba, and Thailand. Some students at Parker feel that Cookies should be expanded to a wider variety of options for traveling abroad.

According to Ekbal, the development of Cookies this year was “crucial.”  “We didn’t have them last year,” she said, “and the majority of the student body and faculty seemed ready to give up on Cookies.”  Ekbal felt that if Cookies didn’t happen this year, they “may not have ever happened again.” For this year at any rate, the Parker cookie jar will be full.  Shepard, for one, is pleased.

“Cookies are a great way to break out of the routine of the same classes every day,” she said. “Even though it is only two days, it is important to break out of this mold.”