Priscilla Taylor Waves Goodbye to Parker

A 31 Year Member Leaves the Parker Community

Priscilla+Taylor+will+retire+at+the+end+of+the+2016+school+year+and+spend+time+traveling+and+being+with+her+granddaughter.+

Photo credit: Rachel Hartman

Priscilla Taylor will retire at the end of the 2016 school year and spend time traveling and being with her granddaughter.

“One year when I was teaching vowels and consonants to the senior kindergarten, I asked, ‘Does anyone know what vowels and consonants are?’ A child raised her hand and answered that ‘a vowel is something you buy, and a consonants is when you have trouble going to the bathroom.’”

This moment is one of the many that former senior- and current junior-kindergarten teacher Priscilla Taylor will remember going into her retirement.  Taylor has been teaching at Parker for 31 years.  

“Since my husband is retired, I think I should be retired,” Taylor said. “I have a new granddaughter now, and I want to be able to spend more time with her and just do some traveling. Maybe do some babysitting.”

Taylor taught senior kindergarten until two years ago, when she decided to transition to the junior kindergarten. During her first four years at Parker, she was a teaching assistant in the junior kindergarten, so when the opportunity arose she wanted to see how the JK curriculum had changed since her time there, and if there was a significant difference between the behaviors of junior kindergarteners and those of senior kindergarteners.

“Developmentally, there is a very big difference,” Taylor said. “Even in just one year.”

She also notes that Parker has grown tremendously over 31 years. 31 years ago, there were fewer faculty members and students, according to Taylor. During MXs, Taylor remembers that JK and SK students would attend Mxs more frequently and everyone in the Parker community had a seat in the auditorium.

“Kids were allowed to leave campus for lunch in middle school. We could bring any pet into the school for Show and Tell,” Taylor said. “I miss those times. It was more of a little Camelot!”

Throughout her Parker career, Taylor has loved her experience with both the junior and senior kindergarteners at Parker. She believes strongly in the John Dewey “learning by doing” philosophy. Taylor also enjoys the implementation of the Reggio Emilia Approach into the junior and senior kindergarten curriculums.

“In its most basic form, it is a way of observing what children know, are curious about, and what challenges them,” Taylor said. “Teachers record these observations to reflect on developmentally appropriate ways to help children expand their academic and social potentials.”

Taylor’s use of the Reggio Emilia approach is seen when she helps a student build a piggy bank out of toilet paper rolls and a water bottle. She shows her student how to glue and tape the rolls on the bottle and pauses for reassurance at every step to make sure he understands what he is doing. Curious of Taylor and her student’s creation, students gather around to watch the craftsmanship of the piggy bank. When the piggy bank is finished, the student holds it up like a trophy and shows it to all of his friends.

Taylor will miss being a part of such learning experiences and seeing her student’ faces.

She remembers a learning experience when she and former second grade teacher Allison Abbott wanted to purchase a teacher’s iguana named Igor as a class pet that Taylor and Abbott would share. After buying the iguana, Taylor and Abbott  showed him to Abbott’s students. Abbott opened the cage and Igor immediately jumped onto Abbott’s back.

“The children all gathered around trying to coax Igor off of her back as she was on all fours,” Taylor said. “They couldn’t touch Igor because iguanas might have salmonella. Finally, we called one of the science teachers and he got Igor back in his cage. We never took him out again!”

Junior Will Polsky enjoyed being a student in Taylor’s senior kindergarten class in 2005. His positive experience in her class, he said, was due to her ability to support her students.

“She never yelled at people,” Polsky said. “I will remember that about her. She was like that nice relative that everybody loves.”

Taylor will also miss interacting with and being near her colleagues, such as senior kindergarten teacher Lisa Nielsen.

Nielsen has worked with Taylor for the past 12 years during which time they’ve bonded over stories about their children, birthday celebrations, and professional development. Nielsen admires Taylor’s commitment to Parker.  

She is dedicated to the philosophy of Parker, giving countless hours to the children and families, and wanting the best for each child,” Nielson said. “I wish her happiness as she closes one chapter of her life and moves on to the next.”

Like Nielsen, Principal Dan Frank will remember Taylor for her deep respect for her students’ development and her approach to teaching. He describes Taylor’s teaching philosophy as one that forges meaningful collaborations among her students and creates an optimistic classroom atmosphere.

“A natural teacher with a warm, welcoming smile,” Frank said, “Priscilla makes her students and their parents feel comfortable in her classroom.”