New Dean, New Division Head, New Discipline

Why the High School’s New Enforcers of Discipline Should Rely More on Grade Heads

In recent years, the eight Upper School Grade Heads have moved into roles of greater importance for disciplinary procedure.  Since the start of their involvement, their role–in collaboration with the Dean–has increased to encompass a larger range of disciplinary actions.  

Working with the Upper School Grade Heads in the realm of discipline is just one of the Dean’s duties in a revised approach to discipline at Parker. The job of dean even has a new title–Upper School Dean of Student Life.  This new description, which Parker released in the spring, lists “Collaborative Working Relationships” as the first category in a series of in-depth descriptions of the duties accompanying the job.

The description goes on to state the importance for this position of “working closely with students, the Upper School Head and all administrators, faculty, advisors, grade heads, College Counseling Office, Upper School counselors, the Athletic Department, the Learning Resources Department, the Admissions and Financial Aid Office, the Middle School Dean of Student Life, and the Alumni Office.”

With Dean of Student Life Christian Bielizna, who is entirely new to the Parker community, collaboration becomes even more important.  The particulars of Parker and the members of its community demand time and experience to fully understand.  Even with outstanding credentials or years of experience at different schools, the Parker Way” takes getting used to.  

Furthermore, in the past few years, the composition of the Upper School administration has changed multiple times.

In regards to the dispensation of discipline, the role of the Dean is complemented by that of the Head of the Upper School.  In other words final decisions, although sometimes ultimately decided by Principal Dan Frank, are determined by the Dean and the Head of the Upper School.  

The vacancy of the Upper School Division Head created by Peter Neissa’s resignation has left Assistant Principal Ruth Jurgensen as Interim Head of the Upper School.  In a year, however, the person in the US Head’s seat will again change.  Although it’s possible that the job will be taken on by someone from within Parker’s Upper School, this may not happen, in which case, at the start of the 2017-8 school year, the Parker experience of the two most significant members in Upper School discipline will total one year.

This is a clear cause for even greater reliance on Grade Heads for disciplinary measures in the upcoming years.  Hopefully, the new Dean of Student Life and the Interim Head of the Upper School will be open to traditional Parker-style collaboration taking a greater part in Upper School discipline.