Alexis Aguilar and Pantoja Join The Parker Community

Human Resources and College Counseling Welcome New Members

Photo credit: Jenna Mansueto

This year two new Alexises can be seen walking through the halls of Parker school.

Not only do they share a new passion for Parker, but they also share a first name. Alexis Aguilar and Alexis Pantoja joined Parker as the new Human Resources Assistant and College Counseling Coordinator, respectively.

Originally from St. Charles, Illinois, Aguilar always knew she wanted to live in Chicago.  After graduating from the University of Wisconsin, Madison in May 2015, she moved to the city and worked as an administration assistant in a studio space at a tap dancing non profit organization called the Chicago Human Rhythm Project. While working there she was the administrative assistant.

Aguilar is excited about coming to Parker and about her new position in Human Resources, the department which is responsible for the hiring, administration, and training of Parker personnel. Her role will be to provide support in the day-to-day tasks of Parker’s Human Resources department including preparing correspondence, forms and reports, processing confidential reports and documents, tracking deadlines, making photocopies, faxing documents and other clerical functions, as well as working on various research projects and special projects.

Aguilar said, “The mission of Parker and the whole community here is wonderful and very welcoming and exciting.”According to Aguilar, her transition to Parker has been great. She is working with Laureen Sweers, Head of Human Resources, and Iman Waits, Human Resources Coordinator.

Aguilar said, “They’ve been wonderful, helpful, and taken me under their wings.” In her free time Aguilar enjoys dancing, traveling, skiing, hiking, being outdoors, and reading. She got the job a week before she started, so she is learning as she goes.

Unlike Aguilar, Pantoja is from Chicago and has lived here her entire life. Before coming to Parker, she worked for Be Strong Families, an organization that deals with children in the child welfare system, and later for Safe Haven where she was a coordinator for The Carpenter’s House.

unnamedPhoto by Jenna Mansueto

Pantoja found out about Parker from Assistant Principal and Interim Upper School Head Ruth Jurgensen.  Jurgenson’s child was coached by Pantoja’s husband in little league baseball. After doing research to learn more about Parker, Pantoja fell in love with the school.  “I fell in love with the way they teach students here,” Pantoja said. “They really let students open up their minds and explore on their own.”

Senior Kelsey Vasquez has already warmed up to Pantoja.  “She is making sure everyone is on task in the office,” Vasquez said, “she brings a lot of spirit to the office, and she is great at communicating with students.”

Pantoja’s number one goal for the year is to get to know all the students in the junior and senior classes. Pantoja thinks it is amazing how much the staff knows about students and colleges and hopes she can one day have similar expertise.

Pantoja has two sons who are new to Parker this year, one in first grade and one in third grade. While she is not at Parker, Pantoja enjoys  watching the White Sox play as well as playing music with her family. She was originally a Cubs fan, but married into a White Sox family.

“I am really excited to be at Parker,” Pantoja said, “not just as a staff member but as a part of the Parker family.”