Parker Kicks It to the PepsiCo Showcase

Girls’ Varsity Soccer Competes

On April 8, 13, and 15, Parker’s varsity girls’ soccer team competed in Chicago’s invite-only PepsiCo Showcase, the largest high school varsity soccer tournament in the United States.  In the first game of the tournament, the girls lost against East Leyden High School, 0-2. They won the second game versus Northside College Prep, 2-0.  And finally, They lost the third game against Back of the Yards College Preparatory High School, 2-3.

When Showcase coordinators extended an invitation to Neil Curran, head coach of the team, Curran opted in. This was the team’s first ever invitation, and Curran thought the time was ripe.

“I have seen this group of freshmen play for the last couple of years, and I know what they are capable of,” Curran said. “They are a strong group of players, and the talent pool has improved overall.”

A lot of time and energy went into preparing for the tournament. Practices took place over spring break, and “it means more fitness and conditioning, along with super detailed drills regarding each position,” senior co-captain Hayley Milgrom said before the tourney. All of the practice and the participation in the tournament, Milgrom hoped, would “improve our team dynamic.” Despite the hard work, Milgrom said, “I think a lot if it is getting exposure to important coaches, good teams, and receiving recognition that we are considered a top team in Chicago.”

To be sure, they faced top teams.  “I think this is a super worthwhile experience because we get exposure to other top teams,” Milgrom said, “which forces us to be better and work together.”

“I expect us to do well,” Curran said before the event. “I don’t know if we will win a lot of games.  It will be a showing of what we can do against high level competition.” Curran wanted the team to play in the high-level competition in preparation for the state tournament.