Kicking Off A New Year

Preseason For Fall Sports Begins

The August sun is rising as preseason for Parker sports begins. With additional boy’s soccer teams, smaller volleyball and cross country numbers, and plenty of new coaches across many of the fall sports, athletes have been practicing their games since preseason began. Gulf, volleyball, tennis, field hockey, soccer, and cross country are the fall sports offerings.

Students gear up for the fall by selecting the sport of their choice. Freshmen begin upper school athletics for the first time and are given a taste of high school right away, along with a sense of community and belonging. The athletes’ practice schedule is based on the sport and strategy inherent in the sport.

Every year there are changes in the coaching staff. “Coaching is a part-time position,” Athletics Director Bobby Starks said, “so if a Coach moves away or gets a new position, they unfortunately cannot coach.” This upcoming season there are approximately five new coaches in the upper school.

“Newer coaches work closely with the experienced coaches so that the continuity remains,” Starks said. “New coaches are encouraged to defend and act on our school’s mission and our athletic department’s philosophy. Despite the change each year, there is a focus on making the athletes responsible citizens. Life skills are key to the athletics at Parker.”

Girls’ tennis practices began August 9 and took place daily at the Waveland Tennis Courts. The team meets bright and early at 7:00am for warmup and preseason practice. The interim head coach is Anthony O’Neal, who has worked alongside the assistant coach Jacqueline Dawkins. The head coach is John Halls-Bryant, who was not able to attend preseason with the team due to a conflict with the early morning practices.

The captains are seniors Olivia Levine and Bianca Delbusto. “I’m looking forward to our upcoming season,” Levine said. “The team spirit remains high, and preseason has been great so far.” The team has approximately eleven members who will cover both junior varsity and varsity teams. Placement on teams was determined at the end of preseason.

In girl’s volleyball, veteran varsity head coach Brittany Lo, and veteran varsity assistant coach Jeremy Aniciete, along with JV the new head coach MacKenzie Holden and returning JV assistant coach Chris Riff enthusiastically welcomed the team on August 9. They met twice a day in the Main Gym.

“I’m really excited,” sophomore Ava Stepan said. “A lot of people quit, so the turnout was a lot lower than last year, which was sad, but we have a pretty good lineup and our first game went well.”

The co-ed golf team is led by new head varsity coach Tim O’Connor, a math teacher, who previously was an assistant coach. Practices are daily. Players are taught strategy and skills as well as etiquette and good sportsmanship.

A long tradition of boys’ soccer begins anew under veteran head coach Neil Curran and veteran assistant Siobhan Allen, Intermediate and Middle School Dean of Student Life, who are leading the varsity soccer team. There are a total of 70 players this year who have been practicing twice a day in the grueling summer heat. Due to their large size, the coaching staff has added an additional team to the mix rather than just having a junior varsity and varsity team. This is a freshman and sophomore team known asJV White headed by Pattrick Stanton and assistant coach Ephraim Beard. There is also regular junior varsity known asJV Blue headed by Dylan Pender.

“I think we are going to have a productive season,” junior Jacob Levy said. “We have started on a positive note, and I am looking forward to our team progressing throughout the season.”

Caleb Flack and Jim Knoedel are the coaches of the cross country team. Flack, the assistant coach, is a Parker graduate from the class of 2012. Like tennis, the cross country team is very small, with only 13 members, and hoping for more runners. Members of the team will reach out to their friends and anyone who may have voiced an interest in the past. Level of experience is not the focus but rather increasing the team number.

“Fall season is new and back to school,” Starks said, “and it is fun to have the excitement of the student athletes back in the building.” New teams are getting used to one another, and team cultures are forming. Starks added, “Coaches are ready from day one and preparing student athletes and parents.”