Papered Up Windows

Standard Market Closed for Reconcepting

On August 8, the windows of the restaurant at 44 W Fullerton Pkwy were papered over, and a sign outside read, “Standard Market is now closed for reconcepting.” Standard Market, a hallmark of Clark Street with it’s signature $13 salads, has been a staple with its signature variety of choices for Parker students, and its closure will affect the lunch habits of some this coming year.    

Upper School students, with bellies full of french fries and grilled cheese, walk down Clark Street back to Parker in the freezing snow of Winter and the sunshine of Spring. Whether it be a freshman on her first day of second semester with sign out privileges or a junior in need of a break, Parker students can be found heading up Standard Market’s grey concrete steps for a filling meal.  

From an outside perspective the restaurant looks as if it is sandwiched between two buildings. A long row of gray painted stairs leads up to the black spinning door. The restaurant’s title is spelled out on the east side of the building right above a brown awning. From the inside of the restaurant the left side is occupied by booths and the right side has a bar and basic tables. The decor is modern, with plants, tall ceilings, lots of windows, TVs displaying the menu and specials, as well more TVs by the bar playing sport games.

“When I first moved to Lincoln Park a few years ago, it was my go-to,” junior Sarah Jayne Austin said. “But I haven’t been back in a while because I felt like the food and service had gotten worse and worse.” Austin recalls times when her food took more than thirty minutes to arrive, and eventually she just lost interest in going.

Shortly after the sign was hung on August 8, the Lincoln Park location was taken off the website, and its Facebook page no longer exists. Other than the window sign, the company has not released any further statements regarding the restaurant’s closure. Standard Market Grill has a chain of restaurants in the Chicagoland area including ones in Westmont and Naperville, both of which are still open.

As students begin to fill the halls, it is only a matter of time before they swipe their ID cards and head out for a tasty lunch between morning and afternoon classes. As they walk up and down Clark Street looking for somewhere to munch, they will no longer be able to head into a Parker “classic” foodhub.

For sophomore Avani Kalra, Standard Market was a weekly tradition for her and her friends. “I was walking down the street with my friend, and she looked up and asked why there was paper on the windows,” Kalra said. “All I could think was how I would survive the school year without their Four Farmer’s salad and sweet potato fries.”

Junior William Holtz felt differently about the all-American grill restaurant. “I’ve never gone to it because I’ve heard their food is really expensive,” Holtz said. “I prefer restaurants like Cupbop. I was never tempted to go in.” Cupbop + Ramen is just a block away from Standard Market and is a Korean restaurant famous for its ramen. Prices tend to be cheaper than Standard Market.

Luckily for Parker students, Lincoln Park has a variety of restaurants with different types of food, within a two block radius of the school. Just up the street, students can indulge in hamburgers and milkshakes from Five Guys or feast on pesto and bolognese at Pastabowl.