Lauren Hughes

Parker Sophomore Competes among Top Field Hockey Players in the Nation

During the summer of 2012, she first tried field hockey at a clinic hosted at Parker. She was the youngest person there, and she thought that was “cool.” Five years later, sophomore Lauren Hughes continues to compete with older players.  And much is expected of Hughes though she’s just a sophomore.  

This August, she laced up her cleats and tied her brown hair back for Parker’s preseason, beginning her second year on the varsity team, which is comprised almost entirely of upperclassmen. Hughes was one of two freshmen to make varsity last season. “It was really fun to be on varsity,” Hughes said, “even though it seemed like it would have been really scary.”

In addition to Parker’s team in the fall, Hughes plays as a forward for her Windy City Field Hockey travel team in the winter, spring, and summer. Her team competes at a high level, regularly facing some of the top teams in the nation. In the summers of 2016 and 2015, she traveled with her team to Lancaster, PA to play for the National Club Championship title, the most prestigious award in youth field hockey, placing eighth and sixth respectively.

This summer, Hughes went with Windy City on an international tour to Cape Town, South Africa, where her team won three games against local teams. While they were there, she and her teammates also volunteered at South African preschools, went ziplining, and explored the country.

Hughes has been individually recognized for her talent. In past years, she has been involved in the United States’ Field Hockey Olympic Development Program, called “Futures,” which identifies the top players from the around the country. In the program, players first go to regional clinics, where they showcase their skills for professional coaches, who then select the best to attend national clinics in Lancaster.

Hughes went to Futures Nationals twice, in the summers of 2015 and 2016. “Once I went to Nationals, I met so many people from different teams that I’m still friends with now,” Hughes said. “It’s really fun to see them and catch up when we compete in the same tournaments.”

This year, Hughes was unable to participate in Futures and had to miss out on most of her travel season due to gum surgery. Her doctor told her field hockey was a risk because if she got hit in the mouth, her jaw would break. “I’m kind of easing into it with Parker field hockey because it’s a little more chill,” Hughes said, “but I’m really looking forward to being able to play travel constantly.”

Sophomore Anna Fuder, who currently plays field hockey at Parker, has participated in Windy City clinics with Hughes in the past. “It was nice to have a friend there, especially since I didn’t know that many other people,” Fuder said. “During our scrimmages, she always had a positive mindset and was a team player. She scored a lot because she has really good ball skills.”

With Parker practicing almost every weekday in the fall, and two or three travel team practices in a Northbrook facility an hour away from her Lincoln Park home in the winter and spring, Hughes dedicates a lot of time to the sport.

According to Hughes, balancing field hockey with school and other extracurricularswhich will include writing for “The Weekly” and serving as an MX Committee Head this year–is challenging. “Because my travel practices are about an hour away, and I get carsick easily, it’s hard to finish homework sometimes,” she saide.  “A lot of late nights are part of what I signed up for.”

The serious commitment also requires Hughes to be flexible and make sacrifices when spending time with friends. “A lot of times, if there are plans on a Friday or Saturday, Lauren will have to leave early if she has field hockey the next morning,” sophomore Nicole Feitler, a friend of Hughes, said. “I remember a while ago, I had a small birthday party, and Lauren couldn’t go because she had something for field hockey. It was really unfortunate.”

Still, for Hughes, it’s all worth it in the end. Field hockey has become an incredibly important part of her life, and she has learned valuable lessons from her experiences.

Last fall, during a Parker game, Hughes was chosen to take a one vs. one against the goalie. “It was scary because the whole team was counting on me, and a lot of people from other grades were watching,” Hughes said. “From travel, I’ve been in a lot of similar high-pressure situations, so I knew how to handle it.” She dribbled the ball up the field and shot it past the opposing goalie into the back of the goal.

Hughes plans to continue with field hockey at least throughout high school. “I am thinking that I want to play in college, but I might change my mind,” Hughes said. “I’m going to put academics first, and then field hockey.”