Shadow Days

A Look at Visiting Parker’s Upper School

Photo credit: Julia Auerbach

Freshman Ava Ori stands with her shadow.

Featured in the mail hallway on the second floor lies the admissions office. With hundreds of students competing for eighteen spots in the incoming freshman class, the admissions team has always had their work cut out for them. Many of the students applying for these spots wish to visit the school. Shadow days, or “research” days, have been a pillar of Parker’s admission process. Last year however, only accepted students, and affiliated applicants, those whose siblings attended Parker, applicants with are parent faculty members, or are alumni of the school, were allowed to shadow, meaning that all other potential applicants were denied this opportunity.

With the first shadow visit is in less than a week, tension in the admissions office is rising, as it is quickly becoming the time of year where they are tasked with identifying the future students of the school.

According to a statement from the Admissions Department on Parker’s website, “Visiting days are a great opportunity to explore the life of a Parker student, observe and participate in classes, sample the cafeteria fare, meet new friends, perhaps say hello to old friends and ask questions.” Amanda Wallace, the Assistant Director of Admission, believes that it is imperative for the admission team to choose the best possible applicants. “We get insights and feedback about academic and developmental preparedness,” Karen Fisher, the Director of Admissions and Financial Aid at Parker, said. “However, it’s not completely determinative of a student’s admissibility to Parker, but it is rather helpful. We find that with our applicants, the shadow day is really what gets them excited about Parker.”

This year, Parker is returning to their previous protocol and once again allowing all potential applicants to shadow. In previous years, it was mandatory for all applying students to shadow, but according to Wallace, “the shadow days have now become optional and given on a first come first serve basis.” Wallace described the change in this protocol to be due to the tremendous numbers of applicants. Last year, we had a huge increase in our applications,” Wallace said. “And that– coupled with the fact that we had a higher number of affiliated applicants– we found ourselves in the position where the numbers were not manageable, and we realized something had to change.”

Regardless of this change, current Parker students still acknowledge the importance of shadow days. “Shadowing is really important to possible newcomers,” sophomore Ren Habiby said. “They get a feel for what a day in the life of a Parker student really looks like. It’s also really helpful in their decision whether or not to attend Parker. If you decline potential students that opportunity, then they aren’t able to see the full picture of what Parker really looks like and all it has to offer.”

Fisher agreed.“The shadow days are a two way street,” Fisher said. “It’s for the student to obtain information about us and us to be able to show who we are as a school, and that’s one of the ways we determine fit.”

Aiden Weinberg, a sibling and a new freshman this year, believes that shadow days are imperative to an applicant’s understanding and to ensuring the Admissions Department are only accepting the best possible students. “Students will see what the school is all about, and realize that it’s either not for them, or they will automatically fall in love and want to come here.”

Jade Nguyen, a sophomore at Parker who was new in ninth grade, considers shadow days to be essential in the decision making process of a student. “I think the shadow day I had was one of the primary reasons I wanted to go here,” Nguyen said. “Everyone was so nice and welcoming, and it made me feel more comfortable at the beginning of last year.” Nguyen describes the nervousness she felt walking into to her first day at a new school, yet the talkative, energetic, and welcoming people she encountered allowed her nerves to melt away.