Maya Plotnick

Parker Senior Competes at One of the Highest Taekwondo Levels

Parker senior Maya Plotnick has spent the last 12 years of her life devoted to Taekwondo, a Korean martial art. As she has matured as a fighter, Plotnick has strategically kicked and punched her way through many Taekwondo tournaments.

Plotnick started Taekwondo when she was five years old in the Parker Plus program, but she wasn’t sure if she wanted to continue. “I tried it once, and when my dad asked me if I wanted to try it again, I said no,” Plotnick said. “But he signed me up anyways, which I guess is a good thing since I am still doing it now.” Plotnick joined the American Taekwondo Association (ATA) Martial Arts Chicago in Welles Park, where she is currently training.

According to ATA’s founder and lead instructor, Jim Wade, ATA strives to “teach all of their members to focus on and be present in the moment. In this age of distractions and sensory overload, this is a skill which returns immediate results in all aspects of one’s life.”

Plotnick’s love for ATA and the coaches there helped her realize that she wanted to take Taekwondo seriously at the age of 10 when she began tournaments and was practicing multiple times each week. At this point she was a red belt, one below black—the highest belt that can be reached. Plotnick started at a white belt just a few years prior and worked her way through her yellow, orange, purple, green, blue, brown, and red belts.

Currently, Plotnick is a 3rd degree black belt, which is three ranks higher than a black belt, and two ranks lower than the highest black belt possible. “I know she is the highest possible belt for someone who is under 18,” Maya’s friend and senior classmate Zoe Gardner said, “which is really amazing.”

Plotnick usually practices about 8 hours a week on top of her school work and activities. “I am serious about Taekwondo,” Plotnick said, “but not to a point where I am going insane.” Plotnick often practices in her own home since it is hard to always go to classes with her busy school schedule. “I would say it is a year-long thing so you never have a break,” she said. “You are always practicing on your own.”

Wade said that Plotnick is a “committed and driven student who trains a lot.” “Not just with me, but in her own home,” he said, “when no one requires her to.” Wade believes that this dedication is what allows Plotnick to compete at such a high level.

Plotnick competes regularly in Chicagoland competitions — about every other month — in which she is placed based on her gender, belt, and age.

There are multiple categories that you can compete in — sparring, weapons, and forms are just a few that Plotnick enjoys. “I always do pretty well at forms and weapons, which are very similar,” Plotnick said. “Sparring I am not as big of a fan of because competing with someone else is a little stressful.” Plotnick tends to place best in weapons, but enjoys forms equally.

For the past five summers, Plotnick has earned a spot at the World Taekwondo tournament, which is the highest ranked tournament in the world, and which draws almost 1000 students from around 177 nations. This past summer, Plotnick placed for the first time in this tournament. “I got second place in weapons,” Plotnick said, “which is really exciting.”

At district championship tournaments — just one rank below worlds — Plotnick has won 11 district championships.

On top of her accomplishments as a Taekwondo student, Plotnick is a level 2 certified instructor. During weekends, Plotnick teaches students between the ages of 3 and 6 years old at her martial arts school. Plotnick enjoys teaching them as it gives her a chance to allow young kids to start Taekwondo.

When she graduates in the spring, Plotnick still wants to do Taekwondo. She loves her studio, but does not plan to stay in Chicago for college. “I am planning on finding a studio by the same company,” Plotnick said, “but if not, I would possibly start a Taekwondo club at whatever college I am at.”