Is Homework Really the Enemy?

Why too much homework is not a bad thing, and why asking for less can hurt you

Editor’s Note: This piece is part of a head-to-head, in which two writers argue opposing sides of a given issue. The accompanying article can be found here.

This year, as in all others before it, students have begun to protest the amount of homework they are receiving. Students routinely complain about how the overbearing load is bleeding into their personal lives, causing them “too much” stress to function on a day to day basis, when in reality they face far less homework than the average student. While most students would embrace a decreased homework load, I am here to tell you why you shouldn’t.

Homework is a key function of education. It allows for classes to take place at an accelerated rate and for students to work through information without the immediate help of a teacher or another student. By processing information at home, students learn how to educate themselves, and work through material that otherwise, would have taken up class time. Additionally, for projects that take a while, such as essays and presentations, which prepare students for real world situations, doing them outside of school allows students to put in the time necessary to complete them.

A 2011 study by the National School Board Association’s Center for Public Education said that there was no concrete findings supporting the idea that homework “increases student achievement across the board.” While this statement is technically true, there are a lot of nuances which this answer chooses to ignore.

The key phrase used above is “across the board.” Homework is not effective for certain demographics, like younger children who are still learning to read. Additionally, these studies reflect not the effectiveness of homework, but the ability to complete it. This disproportionately affects disadvantaged students who cannot complete homework for a variety of reasons, and these numbers can drastically alter test results.

Studies like these do not explore the actual effectiveness of homework as an educational stimulant for students capable of completing the work. According to Harris Cooper, a Psychology professor at Duke University, there is a strong correlation between educational performance and homework for students in grades seven through 12. At these ages, students are able to work alone and get through problems without help, which forces students to become more thoughtful, independent thinkers.

In order for Parker to maintain a certain standard of education on par with other schools like it, this amount of homework is necessary, as homework has measured benefits as to the speed at which teachers are able to work through material.

Another benefit to being a student at Parker is the ability to work with the administration to change the homework load. At many other schools, there is little to no forum for student opinions on topics like this. Students have to deal what they receive, as complaining about it will not change their load.

Parker students are extremely privileged to have access to this kind of education, and do a disservice to themselves when they ask for less work. Students should take advantage of their opportunities at every turn, and remember for every student Parker has who doesn’t do their work, there is another student who would do double the work to have access to an education like the one Parker provides. I think that every Parker student should keep this sentiment in mind. Every time you ask for less work, remember, that someone who is less privileged than you, would work twice as hard for an education that only a people can receive.