Will Clubs Lose Members?

A Look behind the Proposal to Clear Students’ Inboxes

A current proposal would allow for a finite number of emails from clubs sent to the entire student body. Clubs would instead communicate with students through an exclusive email list with all the emails of students interested in the club. Following Club Fair, clubes would be allowed to send three emails to the entire high school. According to the proposal, after October’s Club Fair, clubs would be allowed to email only the students who have signed up for their information.

Co- author of the proposal, along with junior Charlie Moog, is senate head, and junior, Felicia Miller. “Student inboxes are clogged with emails from clubs and all their activities and every one of their meetings,” Miller said,” and so the goal of the proposal was to try to clear out the inboxes a little bit by limiting the amount of emails clubs could send to students.

While the goal of the proposal might be to clear inboxes, some students feel that the execution at Club Fair is too constraining. “Because Club Fair is only 20 minutes, I can’t even imagine that students will begin to visit even half of the clubs during that time,” senior and Model UN Captain Ray Blickstein said. “There’s no way they can learn enough about each club to be able to know if they want to be in that club for the rest of the year or not.”

Within this proposal, clubs are allowed to communicate with the whole student body if they were composed after Club Fair, have an event irregular from a typical club meeting, or need to make an announcement at Morning Exercise announcements.

The goal of the proposal is not just to limit incoming emails, but also to draw more attention to the specific clubs which students find intriguing. “Because you’re getting less emails from clubs,” Miller said, “you’re more likely to open them and actually read through them because you know it’s not just another invitation to a club you’re not even a part of.

The proposal was created with the whole student body’s opinions in mind. “The student body can edit the proposal in senate,” Miller said, “so that it can represent what everyone thinks.”

Not all students feel as though their voices would be heard in the change, and foresee issues. “I don’t feel like all groups are being considered,” freshmen Carter Wagner said. “A big issue would be with affinity groups. Not every student wants to get involved right away, and as part of the Pride group, we know we have to send out emails every week to be able to reach out to kids who are discovering something about themselves. We need to remind them that they too can be included in the club even if they didn’t sign up in the beginning of the year.”

Some students feel that it is crucial for clubs to send out consistent emails to the whole high school because it allows for people to rethink their connection with the club. “Every time you get an email in your mailbox you are forced to reevaluate your interest in that club,” freshman and frequent senate attendee, Julia Auerbach said, “so if you’re void of getting that email, you don’t have the opportunity to make a new decision.”

The authors have recognized the issues which have to be worked out in order to create the most effective proposal. “There’s a little bit of a problem with just stopping clubs from emailing completely,” Miller said, “and we want to make sure that it’s not preventing them from increasing attendance in their club, so we are still editing the proposal to try to fix things like that.”

Although problems about the proposal have been brought to light in Senate, Miller does not believe there is another solution which will solve the issue. “This is the only way to do it,” Miller said. “The only way to fix this is to limit the amount of emails clubs can send because obviously clubs want as many people as possible, so they’re going to send as many emails as possible if they think people will attract to those emails.”

Some students have been looking at the proposal from different perspectives in order to figure out how they stand on the change. “From a student’s perspective I would love not having to get all those random club emails,” freshman and co-head of Youth Activism Art Movement Nathalie San Fratello said. “But from a club head’s perspective, I feel like not as many people will know about when the meetings are and if they want to come. I feel like the amount of people coming will decrease a lot.”

Although some club heads fear decrease attendance at meetings, others feel that it will make the crowd who shows up overall more invested. “I really like that students will sign up for clubs they want emails from because then no one has to get unnecessary club information constantly sent to them,” co-Head of Fish Tank Club and junior Cole Aldeguer said, “and also as club leaders, we can see who is genuinely interested and invested in the club.”

Other club heads, understand their clubs wouldn’t be harmed from the proposal greatly, but can foresee that other clubs will be and. “We would be able to operate the exact same under this proposal because we already only send emails to those in the Model UN google classroom,” Blickstein said. “But I actually think the change would create an issue. It’s much better to have to delete 7 emails than not even know about certain clubs in the school, that would be a beneath the surface issue.”

Contrary to Blickstein’s belief, not receiving emails and not knowing about certain clubs doesn’t seem like an issue and is actually appealing to other students. “There are many clubs I receive emails for and never pay attention to, regardless of what the content of the email is,” sophomore Caroline Conforti said, “so not receiving these emails will not hurt anyone.”

A variety of students found the idea of not having unnecessary emails appealing, but after understanding it could lead to a drop of members, they were swayed. “I liked the idea,” senior Talia Garg said, “but now that I’m thinking about it, I think it’s hindering the communication and could completely decrease people’s interest in clubs.”

San Fratello agree with Garg and thinks back to club leaders who want to increase attendance. “Although not receiving emails to clubs you’re not part of seems nice, think about the club leaders and people who want to constantly gain interest in their clubs,” San Fratello said. “Emails spread awareness! Is it worth it to not have a full inbox in exchange for unawareness of what’s happening around the school?”