Tarshis Takes D.C.

Junior Participates in Senate Page Program

Photo credit: Abby Feitler

Junior Marc Tarshis returns after a semester as a Senate Page.

“When I would first walk into the Senate chambers, I would always just be in awe. There’s just nothing like it. There’s so much history there, and to think that I was a part of it, that I was in there–I couldn’t even imagine it.”

From September until late January junior Marc Tarshis experienced this “awe” as a part of the U.S. Senate Page Program in Washington D.C. The Senate Page Program, established in the 1850’s, each year accepts 30 16-17 year olds–15 girls and 15 boys–to assist the U.S. Senate.

He first discovered it as a freshman. “I was on the internet one night, and I just happened to come across it,” Tarshis said. “I’d never heard of it before, but it seemed really interesting. I looked into it more, and I thought it would be something I’d be interested in, and it seemed like an amazing opportunity.”

After talking to his advisor, Upper School English teacher Cory Zeller, and thinking it through, Tarshis decided to apply through Illinois Senator Dick Durbin the next year. Though the process for each Senator differs, Tarshis had to write an essay, submit a resume and recommendation letters, and be interviewed.

Other than writing Tarshis a recommendation, Zeller had little involvement in the application process. “I feel my part was really minimal,” Zeller said. “He worked so hard on his own, and I’m so proud of him.”

Tarshis applied in March and heard back in August. “When I found out that I was accepted into the U.S. Senate Page Program, I was elated,” Tarshis said. “There are only 30 Senate Pages in the whole country during the fall semester, and there were many applicants. I was so grateful for the amazing opportunity.”

With the other Senate Pages, Tarshis lived in a three-story, converted funeral home building. On the first and second floors are girls’ dorms and the boys’ dorms, and in the basement are the kitchen and the classrooms. Classes, which began at 6:15, and for which Tarshis woke up at 5:00, ranged in length, depending on when the Senate convened that day. Tarshis’s schedule featured American literature, U.S. history, pre-calculus, and physics.

“Academically, the school was very rigorous, it was very challenging, and moved at quite a fast pace, but I really enjoyed it,” Tarshis said. “It was different than Parker. It made me appreciate some things about Parker that I hadn’t before.” According to Tarshis, the classes in D.C. were much more focused on lectures and note-taking compared to the student involvement and hands-on learning he was used to at Parker.

The pages went to work after classes, setting the chambers for the Senate, putting out water for the presiding officer, setting up desks, delivering messages, photocopying documents, staffing lunches, documenting votes, and more. Even though many of their duties were small, Tarshis felt that it was always meaningful and a unique way to contribute to American politics. The pages were paid for a full time job.

Tarshis enjoyed being around so many political figures, especially Cory Booker, a senator from New Jersey. “He would always talk to the Pages and was always cracking funny jokes,” Tarshis said. “He loved interacting with us.” Tarshis also met Jon Stewart, a former “Daily Show” host, and saw the Pope speak.

His favorite moment, though, was attending in person something that he previously was only able to witness on T.V.–the State of the Union. “We were on the House floor for the Address, and afterwards I was able to shake President Obama’s hand,” Tarshis said. “To actually be there on the Senate Floor was something I never thought would have happened.”

During the weekend, the pages did not have to work, and occasionally they went on field trips, including a visit to Philadelphia for the Army Navy football game. Tarshis especially loved exploring the city and taking advantage of the many museums found throughout the capital.

“I loved D.C.,” Tarshis said. “At first, I didn’t really like it, and it took some getting used to, but it grew on me. I absolutely loved the city, both with the museums and the architecture. It’s a great place.”

When it was time to go, Tarshis had mixed feelings. Although he was excited to go home, he knew he would miss D.C. and his time participating in the program. He said, “It was a better experience than I ever could’ve imagined.”

Zeller believes his transition back has been easy and that the program was an incredible experience. “It’s such a unique opportunity,” Zeller said. “I think this was such an awesome opportunity for him that he couldn’t get in college. I’m not sure there’s a detriment–any adversity is worth it in the long run.”

Tarshis’s transition back has been relatively smooth with the exception of Spanish, he said, as he did not take Spanish in D.C.

“I would most definitely recommend this program to people,” Tarshis said. “It’s an amazing experience, and I made some really close friends who I continue to stay in touch with.”

His friends are not the only thing he stays in touch with from the program. According to Zeller, Tarshis has also brought his political interests back with him. In his advisory, he has already had many vigorous political debates with his fellow advisees.

“If anyone ever has any questions about it or wants to know more,” Tarshis said, “I’d be more than happy to speak to them.”