In Response to 8 Years of Service to “The Parker Weekly”

We’ll Miss You, Mr. Laufer

Dear Mr. Laufer,

We’ve always wanted to write a “Letter to the Editors,” and–this being our last issue ever–now seems like as good a time as any. For the past four years we’ve spent more hours in  your room than probably anywhere else in the school. From freshman year English class (where Jessi and Josh never spoke to Grace), from Thursday morning meeting to emergency debriefings, you’re always there with your overflowing planner scribbled with your famous margin slayer pen. The Friday after class day last year when we sat down with you for the first time to discuss how we wanted to shape this paper, we had legitimately no idea what we were in for. Lucky for us, we get to leave after a year.

This is your last issue and we know that “The Weekly” would not be the same without you. Your commitment to the pursuit of student journalism and your patience for editing over forty pages of lengthy articles every month are more than we could ever have asked for. Even when we show up exhausted from layout, ditch the meetings all together (Jessi), or show up late (Josh) you’re ready to go at all times. You even sit back and watch the old married couple (Jessi and Josh) fight over BBQ and everything under the sun.

While there are plenty of fun moments, we also know that every time we want to publish a risky article or receive negative feedback on an issue, you get hit the hardest. “The Weekly” won’t be the same without you next year, that we know for sure, but we also know that your commitment to the values we hold the closest won’t go away. You’re willing to stand up to powerful people that no one else in the school is willing to face.

We wanted to take this opportunity to thank you. We can never express how grateful we are. We know putting things in without your review has led to some problems that nobody has time to deal with, and we’re sorry! Thanks for an amazing year and for always supporting our work.

Love,

Jessi, Josh, and Grace

P.S. Sorry about all the melodrama and clichés above–we know you’d hate it.