New Advisory Board

Improvement to the Upper School Advisory System

The advisory system is an important part of the Parker experience, particularly in the Upper School. Advisors are assigned to small groups of Upper School students to help them navigate their way through every aspect of the Upper School, from academics to extracurriculars.

Upper School Dean of Student Life Chris Bielizna observed in his time at Parker that the advisory system would benefit from an evaluation. Bielizna said, “The goal is to identify what is working well and what could be improved upon.” In order for this to be achieved, a committee will be created.

Justin Brandon, Head of the Upper School said, “It is going to be a group of students and faculty and administrators to come together to talk about ways to enhance the advisory experience for the students and the adults.”

Bielizna will be the leader of this committee, which will be comprised of students and teachers. “We will sit together to talk about things that we can do or create or promote or what have you to enhance the experience in advisory groups,” Bielizna said.

Many students in the Parker community are very appreciative of the advisory system. “Advisory is the best time of the day,” sophomore Rohan Dhingra said, “and it is so great that we have it three times a week. It is a great to to unwind and seek counsel from our advisors. Advisory is an important part of the day, and as Parker student we are very lucky to have these allotted time periods during the day.”

Currently, there is no curriculum or plan for what advisors should do during advisory. “One idea is to send out discussion prompts related to MX,” said Bielizna, “ and advisors can use the prompts as they chose with their advisories.”

The committee members will be the main contributors, but all ideas are welcome. Bielizna said, “Any idea that any member of the committee or the community at large is welcome.”

This committee will be put together within the coming weeks as Bielizna has previously sent out emails with more information on the committees and the application process. The committee will be underway in the beginning of October and will meet around that time.