Head To Head: Parker Shouldn’t Receive the Day Off for High Holidays

Editor’s Note: This piece is one-half of a duo debating whether or not Parker should cancel classes on Jewish Holidays. The sister-article which argues in opposition can be found here.

Before you continue reading and shake your head in disgruntlement, determined that I know nothing about Judaism, let me say one thing. I am a Jew. I grew up lighting the menorah on Hanukkah, attended Hebrew school for five years, and became a Bat Mitzvah when I turned 13. Every year since I was an toddler, I have celebrated Rosh Hashanah the Jewish New Yearand Yom Kippur the day of atonement and holiest of Jewish holidays. That being said, Parker shouldn’t cancel school for the Jewish High Holidays.

A largely undisputed myth at this school is that more students identify with being Jewish than any other major religious group. This misconception is rooted in the history of the school. Back in the mid-twentieth century, anti-semitism was rife, and The Latin School of Chicago, among other schools, prohibited Jews from enrolling. So, many Chicago Jews like both of my grandfathers turned to Parker for a private education. They sent their children to Parker, and their children sent their children, which begins to explain why so many Jews at Parker are legacies or have other family ties.

The illusion is that most students at Parker are Jewish. However, out of 305 Upper School students polled in a survey conducted last spring, it was revealed that only 31 percent — a total of 95 students — actually identify as Jewish. I bet that even a smaller number actually practice the religion on a regular basis or know much about the history.

Judaism, like many other religions, has many branches ranging in levels of observance, from Reform Judaism to Hasidism. Hasidic Jews tend to be more fundamentalist, whereas Reform Jews are known to be more progressive in their beliefs. It’s safe to say that most of the Jews at Parker are not extremely observant — otherwise, they’d probably attend a different school with a Jewish pedagogy.

On the actual days of Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur, few students miss class. For those students who do miss school in observance of these holidays, their absence is excused. It gets a bit more complicated when dealing with the students who play hooky for the day.

More important, however, is the fact that we attend a non-denominational school. Part of the reason I chose to attend Parker for high school is because of its secular nature. If I had chosen a Judaism-based education, I would expect to receive days off of school to observe my faith.
There is also the issue of preferential treatment. Yes, we get school off for Christmas, but that just so happens to align with our winter break. It’s not as if we cancel school on the singular day of Christmas.
Parker’s Mission Statement says, “We are deliberately composed of a diverse group of people committed to equity and inclusion throughout the school.” If we grant the day off for Jewish holidays, then we must fulfill our mission of “equity” by offering the same to students of other religions. We would have to cancel school on Diwali, the Festival of Lights, for Hindu students, and Vesak, the Buddhist holiday celebrating the birth and death of Buddha. The same applies to events in other religions.

By calling off school for one group of students, we single out other minority groups who must miss school to observe their religion. Why should those students be penalized for observing their faith like members of other religions? If this is a school committed to inclusivity and the model home, then we must keep marginalized communities in mind.

I’ve always been a strong believer in the separation of religion and education, and Parker emulates these views to a large extent. It’s absurd to expect a secular school to acknowledge the practices of only one religion, when we’re supposed to be devoted to equally respecting all religions.