Carlin’s Conventions, Issue 2

What is Homecoming Really About Here?

Homecoming is a staple for many American high schools, and many have some variation of the same schedule: sports throughout the day, whether the big game is football or soccer, and a dance at night. And although Parker is smaller than the average American high school, we, too, spend a Saturday each September watching our Colonels compete from the sweltering bleachers, the table of Parker apparel, or the grill, hamburger aromas wafting across the field.

But if you were to ask Parker high schoolers which aspect of Homecoming they most look forward to, or which causes the most drama, many would not say an athletic event, but the party — as in, not the dance, but the after-party. Said party is the subject of conversation in the throes of the pep rally, in the bleachers and on the track at the sports games, and as groups of friends enter the dance.

Where the party is. Who’s going. Who’s going together. When and how people are showing up. Who’s not allowed to go. Who’s going to show up anyway. The mechanics and details of Homecoming night are on everyone’s minds as they take shape not only during the day, but throughout the preceding week.

Social dynamics in high school are obviously a source of stress as students navigate through groups and find their niche among their peers. But at Parker, weekends seem to be the ultimate stressor — especially popular “party weekends” such as Homecoming and Halloween. I, for one, found myself absolutely consumed in my iPhone throughout the day’s games, hearing tidbits from my friends, trying to keep up with the latest developments about that night.

But at this time of the year in particular, pressure — party-related pressure — detracts from the true intended spirit of Homecoming: our gathering as a whole to welcome back our alumni and celebrate the community. Granted, at this point it feels like the majority of fans are students, parents, or teachers rather than alumni, rendering the name “Homecoming” effectively false. But as students, we should try to keep Homecoming Day’s intended purpose in mind as we move throughout the day by attending games to support our classmates on the field instead of spending our entire Friday and Saturday caught up in night-related drama.

Although it’s difficult not to pay attention to social matters in a space surrounded by those who are focused on it, disconnecting from Homecoming drama results in a more enjoyable, worry-free day. Your evening plans will figure themselves out as the night passes — they always do. For now, bring your sunglasses (which I forgot), sit on the bleachers, enjoy a Coke and a bag of chips and watch your friends in one of the biggest games of their season.