Devil’s Advocate, Issue 6

Expelling the Whole Child

Francis Parker’s progressive education philosophy pledges students a dedication “to the growth and development of the whole person.” Moreover, in regards to building a culture of inclusivity and dignity, the school touts a commitment to students “learning to confront behaviors that oppress, exclude or demean the humanity of others.”

These are bold promises we make in our mission, but they are promises that we do not consistently uphold.

When Parker promises to assist students in “learning to confront [hateful] behaviors,” does it not promise to help students confront their own behaviors, not just those of others?  In my mind, self-confrontation seems to be the most important and effective way of improving our communities.  Who are we responsible for, if not ourselves? And yet, when someone within our ranks engages in hateful behavior, many of us call for their expulsion from our community, not their education.

As an educational institution, and a progressive one at that, we have an obligation to refrain from writing off any student as “unsalvageable,” that is, as someone who cannot be improved through our community.  We are dedicated to educating the “whole person,” meaning that we must educate our students socially as well as academically.

Even if you continue to believe that it is not our progressive school’s responsibility to educate a student who has engaged in hateful behaviors, ask yourself this: If you genuinely want this student to change their ways, where better for them to learn than within a community dedicated to their improvement?  When a student is expelled, they merely receive a punishment for getting caught. When we embrace them, they are educated to change.

This is not to neglect the very real pain that members of our community feel when hateful behavior is aimed towards them, whether directly or indirectly.  I have no answers for how to heal that pain. I wonder if I ever will. Right now, I am only capable of suggesting this strategy for preventing similar pain from being inflicted in the future.