Carlin’s Conventions, Issue 9

Changing the Majority Mindset

Parker may not publicly disclose its politics, but democratic values are a significant part of our daily lives in school. The children’s book “Peaceful Fights for Equal Rights” was the subject of the Morning Ex on Friday, March 22. One week later, on Friday, March 29, JK and SK students marched around the hallways with handmade signs, demanding equality. Quotes from Colonel Francis W. Parker touting progressivism are displayed proudly all over the school.

However, despite the pride Parker has in its democratic principles and ways, double standards and hypocrisy are incredibly prominent within its walls. These issues particularly seem to affect and disadvantage those who already feel unsupported, or in some cases, oppressed by the school community: female students and minority groups of all types, including racial, religious and political.

At Parker, I have the privilege of usually being in the majority. Walking around in the hallway, I feel subconsciously protected by the sheer volume of those who look like me and have similar backgrounds to my own. This has afforded me the luxury of being oblivious to the struggles faced by my peers on a daily basis.

Although we are told, both explicitly and implicitly, that everyone’s opinions are welcome––necessary, even––in one-on-one and school-wide conversations, minorities and traditionally marginalized groups noticeably and promptly receive backlash or are silenced when they attempt to share those opinions, even after being asked.

Students are encouraged––and sometimes sponsored, in the case of last year’s walkout––by the school to take action supporting our beliefs, but shut-down when those beliefs do not align perfectly with the school’s, or our actions are executed in such a way that contradicts school policy.

I have observed and heard multiple instances of minorities being asked to share the perspective of their entire group in front of a class, as if one person can adequately represent the myriad views of potentially millions of people.

These issues arise on an individual and institutional level, both in our daily lives and over the course of months and years. Some parallel those of society at large and some are particular to our small bubble, whose demographics do not reflect those of the real world.

Throughout Lower and Middle School, I participated in class discussions about equity and equality––or surface-level topics with those undertones––without a clue about whether my own comments were offensive to those who did not share my experiences. Not realizing the privilege associated with being in the majority, I opened my mouth without considering the potentially lasting impact of my words on my own classmates and friends.

As “responsible citizens and leaders in a diverse democratic society and global community,” as the school mission so proudly states, Parker students must be more cognizant of the way their seemingly routine behaviors––both in and outside the school––affect other members of the school and local communities of which they are part.