Turk Makes it Work

Matthew Turk Elected Student Government President

Taking the microphone off of its stand, Matthew Turk paces the auditorium stage, engaging with his peers in the audience. He tells stories about a failed Student Government endeavor he had his freshman year, and about the time he hurt himself by sticking a whole “Doritos” chip in his mouth.

On Monday, May 20, junior Matthew Turk was elected by the Upper School and eighth grade, a total of 405 students, to be the Student Government President for the 2019-2020 school year.

Turk began plotting his trail to presidency well over three years ago, in the spring of his eighth-grade year. “Just the thought of being president filled me with a lot of pride,” Turk said. “I knew that it was a long term goal, which makes it a lot more fulfilling and gives it a lot more fruition.”

Throughout his time in the high school, Turk has held multiple Student Government positions. As a freshman, he was a Student Interview and Recommendation Board (SIRB) representative, as well as a Small Groups Leader. As a sophomore, Turk held a position on cabinet as Parliamentarian, and as a junior, was a Senate Head.   

“In the presidential race, the student body decided to go with the establishment pick,” Carter Wagner, a sophomore and cabinet member, said. “I think Turk is much more than establishment. He is more experienced than the other candidates, and I think that the student body made a good choice.”

Along with goals to make lasting change in the high school by rewriting the code of conduct, implementing “senior month,” and coordinating a school clean-up day, Turk also stated throughout his campaign his want to reach the whole student body.  

“Why Me?” Turk wrote in his platform.  “Many Parker students, I assume, are capable of being the President of the Student Government, but my life experience and pursuits have ultimately instilled in me a unique kind of discipline and eye for genuine camaraderie, from which we will all greatly benefit.

Turk is an active member of the Parker community outside of Student Government as well. Turk is on the staff of The Weekly, as well as a member of the boys’ varsity baseball team.  “Turk makes it work,” freshman Tommy Pandola-Goldstein said. “I am on the baseball team with Turk and he is smart, and a good leader.”

In the upcoming school year, Turk hopes to get more students engaged in Student Government as quickly as possible.  “I think the student body experience varies significantly from grade to grade and also on an individual basis,” Turk said.  “But something that I hope for that will be different from various years is that we will structure Student Government meetings in a way you can anticipate them and be engaged during them.”