New Performing Arts Teacher Hits The Stage

Professional Acting Experience Comes To Parker

John+Hildreth

Photo credit: Columbia College Chicago

John Hildreth

A new face has joined Parker’s ensemble of teachers — actor and instructor John Hildreth. Hildreth has taken the place of Leslie Holland Pryor, Upper School performing arts teacher, who after more than twenty years is taking up a new position in the lower school. Hildreth brings more than 35 years of performing arts experience to Parker.

Hildreth graduated high school in Streator, Illinois, where he played the trombone in the school band, acted in plays, and was on the speech team. 

Hildreth initially found his passion for the performing arts in school. “It’s something I discovered, I’m going to say in high school. I just sort of discovered that I liked it,” Hildreth said. “It was just a process of discovery through college. And that’s when … at Second City, I decided to go for it there.”

After highschool Hildreth attended the University of Chicago where he earned his B.A. in chemistry. While there, he was a member of an improv group and wrote and performed in many plays and musicals. After finishing at the University of Chicago, Hildreth pursued acting and improvisation at The Second City, an improvisational theater in Chicago.

Hildreth was not initially planning on going into teaching, spending several years as an actor. “I took classes at Second City first,” Hildreth said, “and then I was in the touring company, and I did some shows performed at The Second City. And after that, I became an instructor.”

After joining The Second City, Hildreth became a part-time adjunct professor at Columbia College Chicago, teaching various improvisational and theater classes. “After you’re a performer in improv or sketch comedy, the people that have classes in Second City or iO or anywhere these days, that after your successful performance career, people come and ask you, you know, would you like to teach other people? How you do what you do? It doesn’t happen right away,” Hildreth said.

According to Student Interview Recommendation Board (SIRB) member Talia Holceker, Hildreth’s extensive teaching background is one of the things that made him stand out as a candidate for the job. “Mr. Hildreth stood out because he had an extremely impressive resume with a lot of background in performing arts,” said Holceker. “He was the most experienced in progressive education, directing musical productions, and unique and interesting elective class ideas.”

Hildreth hopes students look forward to him bringing a professional perspective to the performing arts at Parker. “I would want people to know that I’m still out there in the theater and comedy community. In Chicago, I perform once or twice a week. I’d love people to come see my shows. And look forward to me bringing some of that into the improv and acting classes.”

Hildreth also wants to give students interested in theater and improv new opportunities inside and out of the school. “I want to keep my connection with The Second City and see if I can get this improv club groups or groups shows at The Second City,” Hildreth said. “But I’m really looking to continue the work that Holland Pryor has established.”

Woodshop teacher Nick Rupard says he is looking forward to Hildreth taking over and bringing a fresh perspective. Rupard previously worked with Holland Pryor for nearly thirteen years as auditorium manager and woodshop teacher, helping to build sets for the musicals and plays. 

“I think having John enter is really great. He has a great professional experience, and just the excitement, and his knowledge and his thought, and style, and how it meshes with mine,” Rupard said. “And what I do with stagecraft will be interesting. I’m excited to see.”

Senior Jared Saef, who has been involved with the performing arts at Parker for a number of years, eagerly anticipates Hildreth’s experience coming to Parker. “I hope that the new performing arts teacher has lots of experience working with teenage performers and therefore knows how to work with them,” said Saef.

One aspect of teaching at a four-year high school Hildreth looks forward to is building a long-term relationship with students. “Normally, the classes that I teach are eight weeks long, or at Columbia College, the semester is fifteen weeks long. And then I’m not guaranteed that I’ll see the students again,” Hildreth said. “I’m going to be dealing with students for a much longer time. And, hopefully, students keep coming back and being in the plays and musicals and taking the classes.”