Destigmatizing Mental Health

Green Ribbon Club Joins Parker

On a Tuesday in late September, as the music played sounding the beginning of U-Lunch, a mix of Upper School students filed into a conference room, tucked away on the second floor, to kick off the first meeting of Green Ribbon Club at Parker.

Green Ribbon Club at Parker is an official constituent of the national Green Ribbon Club.  According to Green Ribbon Club’s website, they are “a student-run non-profit that is committed to engaging in bipartisan youth advocacy to destigmatize mental health.”

Seniors Georgia Weed, Ava Sato, and Stephen Brainerd started the club earlier this year. “We are passionate about ending the stigma around mental health,” Weed said. “It is so important in a small community like this to address the mental health issues among the student body and what the faculty can be doing to support the student and what the students can do to support each other.” 

Ten students attended their first meeting. Eight girls and two upperclassmen boys were present. Among them was junior Rosey Limmer. “I think mental health doesn’t get enough attention and needs to be talked about more,” Limmer said. “Green Ribbon Club is a way for students to support other students if they do have mental health problems because talking about mental health is one of the best ways to help it.” 

According to Weed, there will be two types of meetings. “One is for everyone to come to to talk about mental health in our space and different mental health disorders and mental illnesses that everyone should be aware of,” Weed said. “Obviously mental health affects everyone so we have lots of meetings that are open to everyone.” 

The co-heads recognize that some students are able to talk more openly about their own mental health struggles when surrounded by other students who have also struggled.  “We are planning on having affinity group type meetings in which students who are specifically struggling with their mental health can talk about it in a confidential space,” Weed said. “A large issue with the stigma around mental health is that it makes people feel isolated and alone, and in a community like Parker it is easy to feel like you are the only person going through something.”

Sato, Weed, and Brainerd decided to become a Green Ribbon Club affiliate because of the access to resources that the organization provides. As a branch, Parker Green Ribbon Club is able to receive tips on how to run a successful club, speak with students a part of other Green Ribbon Club sectors, and participate in events outside of Parker.

Junior Olivia Lansburgh was looking into starting a club for students struggling with mental illnesses when she heard that Parker was starting its own Green Ribbon Club. “I really hope that Green Ribbon Club raises awareness of mental health at Parker,” Lansburgh said. “I think it is important for everyone to learn how to recognize signs in someone who is struggling with their mental health because it could save a life.”

Weed hopes to expand outside of Parker soon. “We want to work with outside organizations who have different programs that can be put into high schools,” Weed said. “There are also walks that organizations put together to raise awareness that we definitely want to be a part of.”