Parker Democrats

New Upper School Club

Photo credit: Anna Fuder

Congressional candidate Robert Emmons Jr. speaking at a Parker Democrats meeting.

As 2020 approaches, Democratic candidates across the country strengthen their campaigns and trek out to caucuses to rally their supporters. At Parker, members of Parker Democrats learn about the election and hear speakers with a variety of views surrounding the issues the candidates are discussing. Junior Grace Conrad and sophomore Eli Moog lead the group every Friday. 

Parker Democrats is registered with High School Democrats of America (HSDA), which aims to give students a voice and engage them in politics. HSDA members have made 150,000 phone calls and knocked on more than 50,000 doors for Democratic candidates in the past five years. In 2016, they registered over 6,000 new voters. 

Conrad became involved in the HSDA because she frequently attended gatherings with politicians outside of school. “We thought there were a lot of intrigued students that could benefit from the voice of politicians,” Conrad said. “We want to invoke more interest in terms of phone banking and student voting, which should be happening.”

Moog, who was interested in starting a club after hearing about the national organization, agrees. “Parker has a large Democratic support, so I thought it would be a good place for the club,” Moog said. “It will encourage people to be more educated, and create a space where they can express their views.”

During the first meeting, Moog discussed the importance of their connection with the HSDA for the voting process. Since the association is affiliated with the Democratic National Convention (DNC), they have a minor share of voting power with the DNC. For example, in the climate debate HSDA can vote amongst themselves to decide requirements for Democratic candidates. According to Moog, the two leaders of the HSDA have a spot on the board of the DNC. While they cannot officially vote with the DNC, they have a say in what the committee does and how it approaches certain topics. At Parker, the club doesn’t have enough people signed up to influence the national organization. 

Junior Nathalie San Fratello joined the club to educate herself about government. To San Fratello, the club is an opportunity to learn more about the beliefs on which she was raised. “One goal for me was to learn about the opposing views of the right side,” San Fratello said. “I’ve already learned more about candidates and the people they’re running against.”

In the next few months, Parker Democrats hopes to host voter registration drives, information sessions, and initiate bonding between members to understand why they are Democrats and how to get other young people involved. Parker Democrats also plans to host  Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle and Robert Emmons Jr, who is running for the United States Congress. Moog and Conrad both have connections that allow them to contact prominent politicians, but according to Conrad, speakers have been very open to coming and they have a long line up planned for the next few months. 

“We bring in candidates to learn what their job is and what they believe,” Moog said. “We want to educate students on their local or state governments and know that their voices are reflected in elected officials.”

Conrad agrees. “It’s a really good experience for students to hear their words, and the way we’re doing it is pretty low key and easily open to anyone,” Conrad said. “The school shouldn’t be overly liberal or democratic.”

Emmons spoke at the club meeting on Friday, October 18. He discussed gun laws, problems in the government system, and a “dusty” congress in which everyone is above the age of 70, resulting in “stale” decision making. 

“He said a lot that I had never heard before and would never have taken the time to learn about,” San Fratello said. “It was amazing to learn about the younger generation taking action.”

“We want students to get information and inspiration out of it,” Conrad said, “and clarity for 2020.”