Parker Substitute Teacher x Local Chicago Theater

David Alex’s “N” premieres in Chicago

David Alex works with the cast on the play “Adrift.” Photo courtesy of The Daily Herald.

While most students recognize David Alex as an enthusiastic substitute teacher that possesses knowledge in many subjects, only some know that Alex is also an award-winning playwright. I was among the latter group for most of my time as a student at Parker. It wasn’t until I read Ian Shayne’s article “Kryptonian Substitute,” published in 2017, that I learned of Alex’s contributions and avid participation in the theater community. Certainly, after reading the list of full-length plays Alex has published, I was thrilled to find out that one of his pieces, “N,” was set to premiere at the Greenhouse Theater Center this fall. 

N” is categorized as a political drama that focuses on the exchanges between Eddy and Mrs. Page, two opposite individuals in terms of appearance and views on the world. Mrs. Page is an older, conservative, African American woman who is a devout follower of the American constitution and constellations. Eddy is a young, liberal, exceedingly naive, white male who is hired by Mrs. Page’s son to take care of her. In exchange for his help, he is offered a room, board, and a monetary reward. As a struggling actor who aspires to make it big on stage someday, Eddy takes the job to help pay off his student loans and additional expenses. 

Mrs. Page, portrayed by Stacie Doublin, forces Eddy to follow the rules of her household such as using no profanity or communicating with her son. Eddy is also required to go on grocery runs and perform basic household tasks for Mrs. Page who refuses to leave her home. In the time that Eddy stays with Mrs. Page, he is exposed to a perspective that is often overlooked in society: an older, conservative African American woman. Through the unlikely pair’s dialogues on social issues, political situations, lifestyle choices, and economics, Mrs. Page educates Eddy on the importance of recognizing the ways in which he benefits from the current system. In return, Eddy challenges her to step outside of her small world and move past the pain she has experienced from the loss of her husband.

Eddy, played by Ryan Smetana, is presented as an extreme liberal who is confident in the ways in which he believes he understands the world. He is so passionate about his political correctness to the point where he refuses to buy “Land O Lakes” butter for its depiction of a Native American woman on the box. While living under Mrs. Page’s roof, Eddy scores the opportunity of his acting career to perform in a one-man modernized production of “Oedipus Rex.” However, after a decision is made by the show’s playwright to include the use of the n-word in the show, Eddy refuses to comply with the change in the script and storms out of rehearsal. This is the moment in the show that resonated with me the most because I feel like I have witnessed and experienced it myself on various occasions in my own reality. When I have been prompted to discuss race in an educational environment, typically, the previous activity in the room dissolves into a cold silence. Often, uneasy looks appear on people’s faces at the thought of discussing a topic with considerable potential to misspeak. I have also witnessed students who identify as liberals justify why they are not bigoted by openly expressing their distaste for the underlying problems in American society, hoping to distance themselves from the favored party. “N” challenged me to recognize the ways in which the elements of systematic racism both favor and hinder me from achieving success in this world. It has caused me to rethink the boundaries I have established in my own life and investigate the reason why I have set these limitations on myself. I applaud Alex for demonstrating through his work how conversations regarding race between people of different backgrounds can be productive.

Every time I attend a production for “The Weekly” at a local theater, I discover nooks and crannies within Chicago that I have been overlooking for the past sixteen years. It was a delight to attend The Greenhouse Theater at 2257 N Lincoln Ave and I hope to see more of their productions in the near future. Additionally, I am thankful to have had the opportunity to see Mr. Alex’s work performed in a live theater. “N” is a relevant piece of theater that presents diverging personalities who experience individual growth by tolerating each other’s differences and turning the situation into a learning experience rather than running away from them.

Even if you did not have the chance to see “N” during its run in four and a half week run in Chicago, I ask for you to do one act to expand your knowledge of members within our school community. As someone who has attended Parker for nearly her entire schooling career, I often forget to reconnect with people outside of the education setting I see them in and ask them what they are up to. Members of the Parker community are multifaceted beyond who we think we know them as. Maybe you will discover that your Spanish teacher is also a part-time actress? Or your gym teacher enjoys coding apps in their free time? The possibilities are endless.