The Yin-Yang Persona of Misha Geller

Meet The Yoga Instructor and Field Hockey Coach

The Yin-Yang Persona of Misha Geller

Photo credit: Rachel Hartman

In the junior and senior kindergarten area, Misha Geller sits on the sofa near the cubbies after picking up her two daughters. They are entertaining themselves by drawing a picture, which will soon be a gift for their mom. Amidst all the chaos of the parents chasing their kids for pickup, Geller seems relaxed.

Geller describes her experiences coaching as “‘frustrating and rewarding all at the same time.” “Every year has its ups and downs,” Geller said about her 13 years coaching both middle and upper school field hockey. “It’s always rewarding when you see growth in your athletes and students. I’m rewarded everyday by positive actions. Seeing girls start to take on leadership in big and small ways – that’s a huge high.”

Geller graduated from Parker in 1997, or, as she would say, “many moons ago,” and has returned this August to coach JV field hockey and to instruct yoga to middle and upper school athletes.

“She still wants us to push, and she knows how to coach,” Junior Varsity Field Hockey player Jade Rasmussen said.  “She knows what’s right and wrong for us,” “She taught us a lot about trust, like trusting our team. She really knows how to coach.”

Geller was on a jog around Webster years ago, when she was asked by former field hockey coach and athletic director and P.E. teacher Pat Pagnucco to return to Parker and to coach field hockey.  Pagnucco coached Geller in 1993-1997 in field hockey, and has been her mentor since 2002, according to Geller.  

Geller has two personas at Parker: the intimidating field hockey coach and the calming yoga instructor.

“I have such a yin-yang persona here at Parker, because on one hand I’m this tough field hockey coach whose kids get intimidated by me- but that’s okay, they’re allowed to be intimidated,” ” Geller said, “But then on the other hand, I provide this calm in yoga.”

Geller began learning  yoga because she was in need of half a credit to graduate college.  “There was yoga,” she said,” and I was like, ‘Oh, this sounds like an easy A,’ so I did it.”

Trinity College in Connecticut, where Geller attended college, had a partnership with a group from Nepal, in which Tibetan nuns would present their type of yoga, Kundalini. The style struck Geller as authentic and interesting.

Geller has completed level one and level two of the Baptiste power training, a physical yoga and meditation practice.  Geller is also a 200-hours Registered Yoga Teacher and certified yoga instructor. Geller has also completed the Art of the Assist program with Baron Baptiste.

In Geller’s perspective yoga gives people physical structure and a core structure that is needed for sports.  It also gives them flexibility, dexterity, extra length, and injury prevention.

“She was a good yoga instructor,” Elisabye Slaymaker, a ninth grader, said about her experience in Geller’s yoga class.  “I felt peaceful and relaxed.  My mind was at ease. There was no tension in my body.”

Geller likes to focus on the important connection between her and her students. “For me I love connecting with students,” Geller said, “and so the connection with the students is also what drives me.”

Geller’s connection to her students is apparent.  

“I think she is a very free spirit, very fun, outgoing, and you can tell she has a very good rapport with all the student athletes that she coaches,” athletic director Bobby Sparks said. “We want a great role model, somebody that models what we want to give to our student athletes, which is growth and development, the skills such as leadership, strong communication, as well as sportsmanship and citizenship. I think she models that.”

Geller enjoys binge-watching “Game of Thrones” and searching for a new book. Her main hobby, however, is spending time with her three daughters, Genevieve and Isla, who are in junior kindergarten and senior kindergarten at Parker, and Emmy who is almost a year old.

Geller’s plans for the future are open ended, with no agenda set in stone. She will be teaching yoga to preschoolers at Mary Meyer Preschool and remain a part time coach for Parker.