Signed with love

How far is too far?

It’s safe to say that Parker is… different. We spend 40 minutes three days a week learning in an auditorium with 3rd graders. Most of us know every Upper Schooler by name, and for some of us, have known them since we could walk. Our cafeteria offers salmon caesar salads.

And I love being different, I really do. I take pride in the furrowed brows that come from non-Parker students when I tell them about our not having a football team. But my two favorite events of the year–– the White and Blue Out games–– have a special place in my heart because they aren’t so distinct from other schools. When I step into DePaul’s Sullivan Athletic Center, the body warmth from the packed entrance making up for the sub-degree January weather, I always make sure to take the atmosphere in. So this is what high school is like.

And while I wouldn’t have wanted to spend my four years anywhere else (I truly mean it), I’m always excited to spend a night once a year like my suburban friends. 

This year, I expected the event to be no different. For my last ever Blue-Out game as a student, I wanted to fully embrace the classic Friday-night-lights school spirit. Take in every cheer chanted and whistle blown.

Unfortunately, in addition to a suspenseful game, I had to witness every Upper School girl being slut shamed for an hour.

On the other side of the arena, opposing fans paraded posters that called Parker girls “loose” and likened our outfits to those one would find at Lollapalooza, the music festival known for attendees in revealing clothes, if any.

Harsh. 

Let me be the first to admit that I enjoy the banter between our rivals at these games. I’m not calling for the abolishment of signs. I hold them. I thought I was clever enough to make one last year that read “Latin was my safety school.” Maybe it pushed the envelope, but in no way personally called out anyone. I look forward to reading signs that poke fun at us, if done cleverly and in the tradition of the event. I mean, isn’t that what rivals are for?

But I am not okay with publicly shaming women for their outfit choices. Through squinted eyes, I remember making out a sign that read “Save those outfits for Lolla” and looking down at my tank top, thinking that maybe I should’ve worn a sweater.

At half-time, I planned to be completely immersed in the white and navy, popcorn scented student section, my only worry being whether or not we’d make the next free throw. Instead, I worried about my teachers seeing a sign that called Parker girls “loose” and thinking differently of me.

The Blue-Out game on January 31st served as the bookend to conclude my time going to the event as a student. That means it will also conclude me making signs for the game (bringing a “Luck Fatin” poster to DePaul as a 40-year-old alumn doesn’t seem quite right).

As for the younger grades: learn from our mistakes. I ask that you don’t build off of the deep cuts that were made last month. Sometimes what starts off with genuine, fun intent ends up morphing into something entirely different. Standing at the Blue-Out game that night, both hurt and angry, I asked myself a question: “how did we get here?”

Sometimes what starts off with genuine, fun intent ends up morphing into something entirely different. Standing at the Blue-Out game that night, both hurt and angry, I asked myself a question: “how did we get here?”

For me, the Blue-Out game has always served as a symbol for the spirit and pride most of us have for this school and for each other. A chance to live out the true “high school experience.” I hope next year’s student sections are filled with that same spirit and pride.