New Application Process for Middle School Cuba Trip

Students Apply for Limited Spots

For weeks over 40 middle schoolers in the seventh and eighth grade anxiously awaited a response to see if their applications would be selected to go on a nine day school trip to Cuba over April Recess this year. Some of those who applied faced disappointment as only 24 students were selected, due to travel logistics. The twenty-four students–12 from 7th grade and 12 from 8th grade–found out in the beginning of October and they were not selected randomly: they had to go through an application process which involved them using their critical thinking and short writing samples.

The opportunity to visit Cuba only came about this year. Cuba has been closed to Americans since 1961, when relations between the two countries deteriorated after the U.S. imposed sanctions on Cuba, due to its communist affiliations. Friendly relations were restored after diplomatic talks between U.S. President Barack Obama and Cuban President Raul Castro.

At the end of summer an email was sent to the parents of seventh and eighth graders regarding information on the the trip and the application process. Students will eat authentic Cuban food, visit beaches, and explore natural wonders like Viñales Valley.

“We are a progressive school, and we wanted the process to include an opportunity for students to learn and think,” Head of Middle School John Novick said. “We knew we were likely to have more students interested in Cuba than we had space to accommodate.”

The application form consisted of four questions that required a written and well thought out answer. Then a committee of five middle school teachers, administrators and staff, which included Novick, Marcie Frasz, Elizabeth Villagomez, Siobhan Allen and Peg Zerega, went through the essay responses sent back. Each applicant’s answers were read by each committee member individually, and after evaluating the responses on their own with a rubric, the committee gathered to compare notes and make decisions as a group.

Calvin Hargis, a seventh grader going on the Cuba trip, said, “There was a lot of thinking put into it.”

In years past, only eighth graders were given a chance to go on an international trip to such places as Puerto Rico in 2014 and Costa Rica in 2012. There was usually space for all interested in participating as a result. But since an international trip took place every other year, kids who were in eighth grade on an off year never even had the possibility of going.

“We were trying to make it more equitable by taking twelve seventh graders and twelve eighth graders,” Novick said. “That way, every Middle Schooler would get one opportunity to at least engage in the process for a trip like this. With eighth grade only, it seemed random and unfair to the students who happened to hit eighth grade in the off year,” Novick said.

But now the number of kids eligible to participate has doubled, leading to disappointment for some. “We weren’t expecting forty some people to apply for the trip,” Marcie Frasz, an eighth grade Spanish teacher and advisor for the trip, said. “When it came down to telling some students they couldn’t go… it was heartbreaking.”

Novick recognizes this drawback to the trip as well.

“There was a downside,” Novick said. “Cuba attracted a lot of interest, and by opening it up to two grades, we had more limited space. Unfortunately there were only twentyfour spots, twelve for each grade, so some students were understandably disappointed.”

The Middle School community did its best to help students who could not go manage their disappointment, according to Novick. They informed parents first whether or not their child’s application was selected, and offered some professional counseling advice on how to help early adolescents manage disappointment in healthy ways. Advisors were given a list in advance of advisees selected and not selected so they too could be ready to help their advisees with their disappointment.

“We are working with students who are participating to be sensitive and empathetic, to be aware that some of their classmates were saddened by the outcome and need some time,” Novick said. “Yes, I am excited for the students able to participate, but we need to take care of all of our students.”   

There is a buzz of excitement about the Cuba trip, especially for the ones going on the trip. “I’m so excited,” Hargis said, “not just to go to Cuba but to learn about the authenticity before it becomes commercialized.”

This way of choosing students has received a range of feedback from both students and parents, including ways to make the application system more equitable.

“We will definitely change the process,” Frasz said. “We have gotten a lot of feedback from both parents and students of ways to change the process.”

The future of trips like these for middle schoolers is still blurry, as issues are still being worked on.

“Should we offer middle school students any enriching activity in which only half the kids, in the end, can participate?” Novick said. “We are asking ourselves this question now, and we’re getting feedback from all involved.”