Teacher Opinions

Sharing Too Much or Not Enough?

Parker’s Upper School learned that the school had finally been named a Democracy School in an extended Morning Ex on Wednesday, September 16. However, debate about the way in which democracy figures into teaching — and the degree to which teacher should or shouldn’t share their opinions in the classroom — has just begun.

Some Parker teachers refrain from sharing their opinions, especially on political issues, with their students as a way to encourage them to arrive at their own conclusions about specific issues, while others are up front about their own ideological background. Whether a teacher, as an authority figure, decides to share an opinion or to stay silent, this has a fundamental impact on students’ learning, according to Dean Ed Amos.

Some teachers believe that students, especially at Parker, are smart enough to hear teacher stances and then still draw their own conclusions. “It’s important to say ‘Okay, this is how I feel about this,’” Corali Sabir, Upper School Spanish teacher, said. “We are shaping kids into leaders, and one of the things I admire most is a student saying,Okay, there is another side, and this is what they believe and this is why it is valid.’”

Sophomore Margo Fuchs agrees. She said, “I think hearing the teachers’ opinions on controversial issues makes the issues more real and shows how relevant they are.”

Some students feel an opinionated teacher also enhances the sense of community in the classroom. “I think that because we’re all sharing our beliefs in the classroom,” sophomore Talia Garg said, “that [teachers] should be able to give their own input.”

Other teachers try to let students form their own opinions without outside influence. Amos said that he believes it is “best to remain neutral, and give both sides of an argument equal playing time.”

Amos also acknowledged that it may be impossible for any teacher to remain truly unbiased, saying “We’re humans.

He added, “it depends on the curriculum, the content, and the school.”

This school’s mission statement states, “We affirm students and their capacity to thrive when they feel known, understood and appreciated by teachers and classmates” —  a capacity which some argue can be endangered because students are afraid to speak their beliefs.

If a teacher expresses a particular belief, a student may feel that he or she must agree with that opinion to achieve a desirable grade. Sophomore Alex Chapman doesn’t like this prospect. He said, “I don’t want to just feel like there are certain things I have to say to get an A.”

While some many teachers said they try to remain unbiased, students said they that hearing their teachers opinions helps them learn and understand. The fact is students care about what their teachers think. When asked how much she thinks her teachers share their opinions with her, Fuchs answered with a simple “not enough.”