Bridging the Virtual Gap

Incoming Freshman Participate in The Bridge Program

Photo credit: Lucy Wrubel

Students new to Parker standing during a Bridge session.

On August 18 through 20, 20 incoming freshmen attended the Bridge Program led by Upper School Dean of Students Joe Bruno and Community Committee Head, senior Griffin Kass. Everyone wore masks in a vacant sanitized school filled with anxiousness and uneasiness. The Bridge Program is dedicated to helping new incoming freshmen integrate to Parker. Throughout the two week period before the official first day of classes, new students learn about important places within the school, meet administrators and teachers, and receive their new emails and schedules. 

Freshman Grade Heads recognize that the transition to high school is difficult for many students, so they implement retreats and activities to bridge new and returning students. With the Upper School making a full transition to e-learning this fall, integration may become more difficult. “We need to show the students they belong at their new school with the current circumstances we are all in,” Bruno said,

Despite classes starting remotely, the incoming freshmen participated in the Bridge Program on campus. Due to the rise of COVID-19 cases, the timing changed and safety precautions were taken in order to prevent the spread of the virus, such as mandated social distancing and face coverings. Additionally, all Bridge staff met for four hours prior to the actual Bridge week to discuss the coronavirus guidelines and norms. 

“Although it’s not ideal, it’s necessary that students learn this information and it helps students become acclimated to their new community,” Bruno said.

Additionally, Bridge is significantly shortened this year due to the pandemic. In prior years, the Bridge program was two weeks excluding the retreat, however, this year the duration of the Bridge Program is only three days, from August 18 to August 20. 

Even with the Bridge program, there is no guarantee that students will get what they need from the experience. Senior and Community Committee Head Griffin Kass is confident the program will be effective.  “Parker is providing the resources students need to thrive in school, whether they need it in person or online, but transition will be 10 times harder for these new kids,” Kass said. 

Necessary precautions such as masks and social distancing could decrease intimacy and limit casual interactions between the new students. “Although it may be more difficult with COVID-19, having Bridge will make all of the kids more comfortable,” Kass said. “It gives them the opportunity to feel better and safer in their environment, which only helps the transition to a new school.”