The Big ‘17

Who Are the Best Athletes in the Upper School?

The Big ‘17

Photo credit: Chandler Seed

When the class of 2017 was in eighth grade, our boys’ basketball team finished our season with a record of 19-1. Our coach David Fuder, said we were the best team he’d coached.

My grade, the graduating class of 2017, has always been athletic. The grade continues to be athletic in high school. By and large of the best players in Parker athletics belong to this class.

The best player in each of boys’ basketball, boys’ soccer, field hockey, baseball, and volley ball is in this grade. These athletes are: Marc Taylor, Andres Marx, Evan Hughes, Casey Barr, and Leigh Logan.

The high school generally agrees. A poll was sent out to the entire high school asking if these students were the best players in their respective sports. Of the 50 students who filled out the survey, 90% agreed that Taylor was the best basketball player, 96% for Marx, 74% for Barr, 72% for Hughes, and 84% for Logan.

I asked junior-varsity coach Willie Banks who the most talented basketball player in our high school is. “That’s a tough question, but I would say Marc,” Banks, who has coached for the high school basketball program every year Taylor has played, said. “I would say this has been true since Marc’s sophomore year.” Taylor was the only freshman on varsity during the 2013-2014 season.

Taylor was the leading scorer, rebounder, and shot-blocker for the varsity team during  the 2014-2015 season. He averaged 15.1 points, 7.5 rebounds, and 2.8 blocks per game. This year, four of the five Parker varsity basketball starters are expected to be juniors Marc Taylor, Nicky Kupferberg, Casey Barr, and Jason Lansing.

Leigh Logan has also played for varsity volleyball every since she was a freshman in the 2013-2014 year. Logan is a starter and a captain.

Parker’s soccer team does not keep stats, but Andres Marx also was the only freshman to play for the varsity squad during the 2013-2014 season.