Why County Fair Continues

It’s More Than Just a tradition

As a new student from Kentucky, I found the idea of a “County Fair” at Parker a little odd, considering we are located in the middle of Chicago, and the typical fair where I’m from includes sketchy spinning rides and hotdog eating contests. But something told me I would not spot Principal Dr. Dan Frank attempting to milk a cow.

I scrambled cluelessly alongside my peers to create Scrabble decorations, sprinkle Monopoly confetti onto tables, and avoid tearing a Candy Land path made of different colored construction paper in the process. My only knowledge of the day ahead had come from a couple of high school students who’d said that the fair “got old,” that it was “unnecessarily stressful” in terms of preparation, and that “the burgers are sometimes a little blackened.”

To say I had absolutely no idea what to expect is an understatement. I came to understand that the reason for County Fair, other than to simply continue the tradition, is its ability to blend the entire Parker community through games, animals, and relaxation, something I experienced first-hand.

I met a group of first graders early in the morning at the petting zoo, where we talked for ten minutes about how cool the animals were, specifically the softest bunny I’ve ever felt. They told me about their pets at home and their desire to have a class pet like the rabbit. Shortly after, I watched my new friends, alongside their parents, squeal and prance away from a llama running circles around the pen, nearly trampling them in their attempts to escape. Rumor has it he was later removed from the premises for spitting.

A highlight of my day had to be walking into the courtyard and feeling a wave of energy from the laughter of lower schoolers bouncing around on blow-up horses, and from the incredible music. Parker students possess a multitude of  talents outside of the classroom, most of which I wouldn’t have been able to discover without the performances at the fair. Spectators listened to the singing kids from all grades including the high school’s Grape Jam, and others who preformed by playing an array of different instruments. One of these was seventh grader Rohan Dhingra, who absolutely killed a solo on his saxophone. After talking to him, I discovered he also plays the violin!

Though I was deemed too old to participate, I observed different aged lower schoolers race on the bouncy obstacle course and teach one another how to do cool jumps. In the small gym right next door, a photobooth, new I was told, to this year’s County Fair, had a line nearly out the door. In the line: middle schoolers, upper schoolers, and even some adults!  

I went to a school like Parker, but their small festival pales in comparison to the elaborate work the students and faculty put into this County Fair. Grades never commingled, games and food were parent-run, and student talents weren’t showcased.

Some students appreciate County Fair and look forward to it every year. Senior Tenzin Babu says he loves County Fair’s root beer floats, petting zoo, and cake walk, even though, he said, “I spend way too much money on it and end up winning no cakes.”

Mike Mahany, a high school English teacher, shares the same love for County Fair as most of the faculty, staff, and student body. He does have a few suggestions though.  “It occurs too early in the year,” he said, “there are just too many things going on in October.” Mahany also suggests the fair have more high school-oriented stations in the future, rather than the majority appealing to younger kids.

County Fair combines the entire student body, staff, and even parents. Parker continues to take a Friday off in mid-October for the fun that gives the high schoolers a relief from the stresses of Mandarin, Nash reading, and college applications, allowing them to be in lower school again. For the lifelong Parker students, it brings back memories of County Fairs past. Third graders dunk sophomores, while freshmen give parents tattoos, and even seniors aren’t too old to have their faces painted.