Summer Sports Season

Spring Sports Return After Long Pause

In 2020, spring sports were cut short as a pandemic was declared. In 2021, the new spring season, titled the “summer season,” is an opportunity to continue what was started the previous year. Now, teams are adjusting to a new schedule, and have begun playing and practicing together. Some students haven’t played together as a team for two years while others have not experienced spring sports at all. The new summer season also brings new opportunities. 

Director of Athletics Bobby Starks reflects on the summer season and how it is different from previous sports this school year. “This season stands out because unlike the previous seasons (fall, winter & spring) teams throughout the state are getting back to what we think of as a normal season,” Starks said via email. Starks mentioned how, while the season may not mimic those seasons of years past, the summer season has definitely made notable steps forward. Some of the progress includes the ability to have spectators and the opportunity to compete in the State Playoff Series. 

“Our summer student-athletes should be very grateful for the opportunity that is afforded to them this season,” Starks said. 

As mentioned by Starks, the opportunity to play for the State Playoff Series is exciting for many student-athletes. Starks explained how the fall season had the opportunity to compete one round of post-season, and the spring and winter seasons did not have the option to compete in the post-season at all. 

Starks also explained his thoughts on the two year gap that some players experienced. 

“I have one main thought about this realistic scenario for some student-athletes at Parker, in the state, and in the country. I hope our student-athletes understand that it is truly a gift and privilege to participate in extracurricular activities such as athletics,” Starks said. “Therefore when they have the opportunity to participate during practice or in a competition, I hope that they do their best. I hope that they thoroughly enjoy themselves and the time as the opportunities to participate do not last forever and they are not guaranteed.”

Senior Emma Jung, one of the Girls Soccer captains, highlights the team dynamic and the season outcome. “I think this season has definitely been the most strange out of all my years of playing in high school. I think having not ‘played’ for two years hasn’t greatly impacted the team, but the team dynamic has changed. It’s a very different team compared to recent years, but I think this team has shown a lot of resilience and urgency to want to play and strive to get better,” Jung said. 

Jung highlights how the team has worked with each other throughout the season.

“At first, the team wasn’t very connected on the field, but the more we continued to play and practice together, the better we got. I know Amelia, Alex and I worked hard to make sure everyone on the team felt welcomed and felt that they were a part of the family,” Jung said. 

Sophomore Nariya Cooke, a member of the Parker Track team, highlighted her experience this year. “Even though it was condensed, I think the captains and coaches did a really good job with Zoom workouts and coming up with team activities to make up for lost time,” Cooke said. “We put in 100 percent effort every single meet.”